The Beast Below (2)

A/N - Comments mean a lot! Especially ones that react to certain things (commenting on certain paragraphs)

----------&----------

When the Doctor and Amy are brought down to TheTower, The Doctor's first response if to run to the sleeping blonde in the corner.

"She'll be fine, we just accidently used too much sleeping gas on her. Five minutes and she'll be perfect," Hawthorne says bluntly

"Oh 'just accidently used too much sleeping gas'!" The Doctor rolls his eyes and checks a sleeping Poppy over before doing his big reveal.

----------&-----------

When Poppy wakes up, she can hear Liz's voice over the screen.

"If you are watching this. If I am watching this, then I have found my way to the Tower of London. The creature you are looking at is called a Star Whale. Once, there were millions of them. They lived in the depths of space and, according to legend, guided the early space travellers through the asteroid belts. This one, as far as we are aware, is the last of its kind. And what we have done to it breaks my heart. The Earth was burning. Our sun had turned on us and every other nation had fled to the skies. Our children screamed as the skies grew hotter. And then it came, like a miracle. The last of the Star Whales. We trapped it, we built our ship around it, and we rode on its back to safety. If you wish our voyage to continue, then you must press the Forget button. Be again the heart of this nation, untainted. If not, press the other button. Your reign will end, the Star Whale will be released, and our ship will disintegrate. I hope I keep the strength to make the right decision,"

"I voted for this. Why would I do that?" A familiar Scottish voice says and Poppy sighs in relief. Amy was here, and most likely The Doctor.

"Because you knew if we stayed here, I'd be faced with an impossible choice. Humanity or the alien. You took it upon yourself to save me from that. And that was wrong. You don't ever decide what I need to know,"

"I don't even remember doing it,"

"You did it. That's what counts,"

"I'm... I'm sorry,"

"Oh, I don't care. When I'm done here, you're going home,"

"Why? Because I made a mistake? One mistake? I don't even remember doing it. Doctor!"

"Yeah, I know. You're only human," The Doctor starts fiddling with wires in the corner.

"What are you doing?" Liz asks

"The worst thing I'll ever do. I'm going to pass a massive electrical charge through the Star Whale's brain. Should knock out all its higher functions, leave it a vegetable. The ship will still fly, but the whale won't feel it,"

"That'll be like killing it," Poppy croaks out. She was sat on the floor behind Liz and Amy.

"Look, three options. One, I let the Star Whale continue in unendurable agony for hundreds more years. Two, I kill everyone on this ship. Three, I murder a beautiful, innocent creature as painlessly as I can. And then I find a new name, because I won't be the Doctor anymore,"

"There must be something we can do, some other way," Liz tries

"Nobody talks to me. Nobody human has anything to say to me today!" Poppy flinches at the loudness and Amy goes to sit next to her, Mandy joining a few seconds later.

They watch while the Doctor adjusts the machinery. Children enter.

"Timmy! You made it, you're okay," Mandy runs up to a blonde boy and he stares at her in confusion "It's me, Mandy.

A tentacle flails behind Mandy, then gently taps her on the shoulder. Amy and Poppy watch as she strokes it. Both have flashbacks of the day, and when they finish, they make eye contact and come to the same agreement

"Doctor, stop!" Poppy runs forward

"Whatever you're doing, stop it now! Sorry, Your Majesty," Amy grabs Liz, Poppy coming on the other side

"Going to need a hand," They both push her hand down on the 'abdicate' button.

The Whale roars and Star ship UK shakes briefly, causing panic.

"Poppy, Amy, what have you done?" The Doctor finally gets out when the ship stops shaking.

"Nothing," Poppy looks around

"Nothing at all. Are we right?" Amy looks over to Hawthorne

"We've increased speed,"

"Yeah, well, you've stopped torturing the pilot,"

"Got to help,"

"It's still here. I don't understand," Liz says confused

"The Star Whale didn't come like a miracle all those years ago. It volunteered. You didn't have to trap it or torture it. That was all just you. It came because it couldn't stand to watch your children cry. What if you were really old, and really kind and alone? Your whole race dead. No future. What couldn't you do then? If you were that old, and that kind,"

"and the very last of your kind," Poppy adds, looking to The Doctor

"you couldn't just stand there and watch children cry," Amy finishes

----------&----------

Poppy let Amy talk to The Doctor and worked her way back to the TARDIS, leaning on the doors, waiting for her friend and boyfriend.

"Shouldn't we say goodbye? Won't they wonder where we went?" The two appear

"For the rest of their lives. Oh, the songs they'll write. Never mind them. Big day tomorrow,

"Sorry, what?" Amy asks suddenly, thinking he knew about her wedding.

"Well, it's always a big day tomorrow. We've got a time machine. I skip the little ones,"

"You know what I said about getting back for tomorrow morning? Have you ever run away from something because you were scared, or not ready, or just, just because you could?"

"Once, a long time ago,"

"Yeah..." Poppy mutters from beside The Doctor.

"What happened?"

"Hello," The Doctor waves

"Right. Doctor, there's something I haven't told you," Amy gets ready to tell him, but something catches her attention "No, hang on. Is that a phone ringing?" They walk into the TARDIS, "People phone you?"

"Well, it's a phone box," he gestures for Poppy to pick it up since she's closer "Would you mind?"

"Hello? Sorry, who? No, seriously, who?" she puts the phone to her chest "Says he's the Prime Minister,"

"First the Queen, now the Prime Minister. Get about, don't you?" Amy jokes

"Which Prime Minister?" The Doctor gestures for Amy to pull a lever and she does it cautiously.

"Which Prime Minister?" Poppy asks into the phone "The British one,"

"Which British one?"

"Which British one?" Poppy hands the phone to The Doctor "Winston Churchill for you,"

"Oh! Hello, dear. What's up?" The Doctor has a sudden cheeriness to his voice "Don't worry about a thing, Prime Minister. We're on our way,"