The tale of the ice maiden

— I don't know what I don't know. I do not agree to invent. Another man told me the story, and now I'm passing it on to you, little Ju. Get comfortable and get ready to listen. And the case, they say, that's how it was. - tells deep feminine voice.

Mine. Near each wall is one or two people, each of which is constantly waving a pickaxe to get as much as possible valuable, having magical power crystals.

They were all men of almost all ages. The youngest was thirteen. Among the workers around him, he was distinguished by his silver hair and blue eyes, which changed their hue and color depending on the mood. Dressed, as and all the rest, in labor clothes dark color of, consisting of t-shirts and trousers with boots, on the hands of gloves off. The pale, scarred face, the lean, yet hard-worked physique, were the fruits of their long stay in the mine and the cruelty of their clerk.

Despite his young age, he was quite adept with the pickaxe, helping his companion, who was already an old man, but who cared. Certainly not their superior, who was a stout, mustachioed man in a striped shirt, flanked on either side by several bodyguards. He stared at the men working in the mine, missing nothing.

If to describe their boss with just a few words, you will like this. From dogs dog. Decided to suddenly a new fashion devise — force all work not at the top, as before was, and the bottom. The reason is simple-at the top all one big company trek. You never know what, conspire, gather together, young and old, and beat him for abuse and generally all good. As they say, the slaughter is not a village where people are always a bunch. Here same and place for such things awkward, and its grains a gang of-watering can there is, which, in case,  particularly brave and brazen. Sam growled-yawned ahead, and behind him the brothers-the Germans, that gang-lake.

Suddenly one of the workers, the old man, fell to the ground and coughed hoarsely, attracting the attention not only of the boy who rushed to his aid, but also of the frowning boss. The boy sat down next to the old man, and helped to stand up, clapping on the back and anxiously asking about the state of health.

The old man could hardly but smile, looking at the boy with gratitude in his brown eyes. I wanted to say something, but did not have time, head was right there.

"Oh, he was fierce. Do not feed bread, give of someone taking a whip to beat. Sadist in one word.

Quickly approaching the old man, pushed aside the boy, and, swinging, several times hit the old man lying on his stomach with the whip, leaving on the back of that hidden under the shirt bleeding stripes.

The watching boy clenched his fists angrily, narrowing his eyes, which had darkened to a cold blue. He was about to intervene when he was grabbed from behind by the shoulders. His indignant glance, just silently shook his head, saying, you also will be worse. They'll beat him to death and nothing will help him.

As soon as the poor old man was finished, the boy helped him to his feet, slinging one arm over his shoulder and running the other across his sweat-soaked forehead, brushing the silvery strands from it.

Hearing the sound of the whip again, he sighed in resignation, mentally reproaching himself for his helplessness. But there was nothing to do, they all had to endure.

***

The task to carry the crystals extracted by him to a certain place was the most favorite for them, because they could finally get out of the mine into the light of God, breathe fresh air and even help each other with the wounds received from the chief.

This summer day was particularly hot and quite welcoming. They walked along the forest path, listening to the birds singing, the rustle of the leaves on the tall trees, enjoying the warmth of the sunlight, and the short but still freedom.