CHAPTER THREE

I shifted in bed slightly, bothered by the thoughts that suddenly invaded my mind. I had no idea if I was still sleeping or if I was only partially awake, but I couldn't leave this state, no matter how hard I tried to. It's like I was bound to see or do something, all I had to do was to let it happen, and not to fight it. My feet were guiding me through the empty loft, where the only thing I could hear was the sound of my footsteps echoing across the place.

Everything was so silently peaceful. I wasn't afraid. I was alright. Serene, even. Every item, every familiar smell, my journal that I was holding in my hands for some reason... it all seemed so real that I questioned myself whether I was dreaming or not. But I knew I was, because I was walking, thing I couldn't manage to do before I went to sleep.

Suddenly, the peaceful atmosphere disappeared as the phone started ringing. I walked in its direction in the kitchen, and naturally picked it up.

"Hello?" I said through the receiver, as I put my journal down on the counter.

"Hayley? Finally I managed to reach you! It's been so long!" the person on the other end of the phone exclaimed, and I knitted my eyebrows, confused about the identity of my interlocutor.

"I'm sorry, who's this?" I asked kindly.

"Oh, excuse me, I should have started there. It's me, June – June Schwartz!"

My heart fell at the pit of my stomach at the announcement, as I never expected to deal with this family ever again.

"I wanted to congratulate you for your engagement, you secretive thing! You're a real star now, you're all over the press! Jordan was so impressed that you were Michael Jackson's fiancé, and he was wondering if—"

My eyes widened at June's words, and, without thinking, I hung up the phone. My heart was racing, as a hand was covering my mouth. Instantly, I ran back to my bedroom the fastest I could, tears threatening to fall from my eyes.

"Michael!" I exclaimed, as I suddenly woke up drenched in sweat and out of breath.

I looked at the spot next to me, and Michael was there. Alarmed by my sudden exclamation, he opened his eyes quickly and immediately concern invaded him. He put a reassuring hand on my back and started rubbing it gently.

"Hale, hey, I'm here," he told me in a whisper, as I was catching my breath. "Did you have a bad dream?"

"I—I, yes," I stuttered slightly, as I was confused by what I had just experienced.

It wasn't a dream, it wasn't reality either. It seemed like I was stuck in the middle of both, the same way I was when I was stuck in my alternative reality.

But I couldn't tell him that. I couldn't tell him about what I went through there, or how it made me feel.

"You're drenched in sweat," he observed with worry in his voice. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," I shook my head, as I snuggled close to him. "Just hold me, please."

"Okay," he gently said, as he held me tightly close to him. He laid a delicate kiss on my forehead, and rubbed my arms in a soothing manner. "You're going to be fine. I'm here now, I'm alright. We're alright."

I simply nodded, and circled my arms around his thin waist as I hugged him tighter. I stayed like this for some long minutes, just enjoying the sound of Michael's heart beating against my ear. When I came to my senses again and realized we were in my bedroom, a frown appeared on my face.

"Wait... Did you carry me there last night?" I asked my boyfriend, and a little chuckle escaped his mouth.

"I did. I didn't want you to sleep on the couch, I wanted you to be comfy for your first night back home," he explained, and I smiled at his gesture.