CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

April 4th, 1993

April 4th, 1993

Dear Diary,

As I write these words, I am amazed by the sight that has been filling me with joy for the past three years. I can barely take my eyes off of Michael to write this. I could just stay here and look at him for hours. His hair is hiding half of his beautiful face but yet he looks like the most beautiful human being I've ever laid my eyes upon. I can't believe I will be lucky enough to witness his natural beauty for the rest of my days.

Time flies, and I still have a hard time realizing that we are getting married tomorrow. I am obviously really nervous, but above all I am undeniably and completely happy. I dreamed about this moment since I was a little girl, and I know that tomorrow is going to be even better than everything I have ever imagined. Why? Because I am marrying the love of my life, my other half and the father of my son.

When I used to dream of my wedding day, I only pictured a blank space where my husband's head was supposed to be. But when I met Michael, I quickly started to imagine myself getting married to him, no matter how frightened I was of marriage back then. I just couldn't help it, as eveything seemed natural, meant to be.

Our rehearsal dinner was yesterday, and it went incredibly well. Joseph and Katherine's argument was avoided with success. Instead, Joseph and Michael spent some time together, talking about literature, just as I advised my future father-in-law. Michael was thrilled to tell me about the conversation he had with his father, even though he told me how awkward it was at the beginning. They still have a long way to go, but they're taking baby steps in the right direction, and it fills me with joy.

"Dear Diary," Michael's voice was suddenly heard, drawing my attention. "Tomorrow's the big day and I am thinking about running away. Michael's such an ass," he mimicked my voice, out of nowhere, as he broke the silence that was surrounding me. I looked at him and noticed he was suppressing a laugh as he looked at me with his hand supporting his head. "I can't stand his black ass any longer. Tell me, Diary, what should I do? I—"

"You should shut up," I laughed out loud, cutting him off. I closed my journal carelessly before I crawled under the covers with my fiancé and attacked his face with kisses. "I'd be a fool to write this kind of stuff."

"That means you're not thinking about leaving me at the altar?" Michael asked with a smile, his hands resting on my lower back.

"I'm definitely not thinking about running away. Are you?"

"No," he answered without hesitation, looking at me, my face inches away from his as my body was covering his. "I'm definitely not thinking about that either."

"What are you thinking about, Maestro?" I wondered curiously, as he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"I'm thinking about how lucky I am to be able to wake up next to you every morning," he truthfully answered before he placed a kiss on the space between my eyes. "And how I can't wait to call you my wife."