CHAPTER FIVE

I adjusted my hair in the mirror in front of me to take one last look at my reflection, and wheeled in Michael's direction, in the main's house hall

I adjusted my hair in the mirror in front of me to take one last look at my reflection, and wheeled in Michael's direction, in the main's house hall. I wanted to look good for the entire Jackson family, so that they would see I was okay and healthy – for the most part. Of course, I knew they would tell me how sorry they were for what was happening to me, but I was ready to hear it. I didn't want anything to come in the way of that moment.

"Don't you look beautiful," my fiancé complimented as I arrived a foot away from him. "I mean, not that the make-up makes you look more beautiful than usual, because it doesn't, but—," he sighed heavily, as he was visibly nervous. "What I mean is that you're always beautiful."

"Thank you?" I said, raising an eyebrow. "Honey, are you suddenly nervous?"

"Is it that obvious?" he asked, his shoulders falling in despair.

"It is," I chuckled, as I got closer to him. I took his sweaty hand in mine, and ran my thumb on the back of it. "It's going to be just fine. Why are you nervous?"

"You know I get shy and anxious when I'm the center of attention," he let me know, and I smiled at his cute self.

"I know. I'll be there the whole time, there's nothing to be scared of. Remember? That's what you told me a few minutes ago," I reassured him, giving him a sweet smile. "Come on, let's do this!"

He exhaled once again, and squeezed my hand a little. "You're right. Let's go," he declared, as he put himself behind me to push my wheelchair.

As it was quite complicated for me to use a golf cart to go over the property, Michael walked us to the party's venue which was the guest house. He confessed that he was planning on keeping this party a secret, but that he couldn't hold the secret much longer. He wanted me to get prepared to seeing most of his family there, because he knew just how hard it would be for me to see them again.

To be honest, I was quite nervous myself, but I was trying my best to hide it for Michael's sake. It was complicated for me to show up after all this time, and in this condition. A part of me was afraid that the Jacksons would get the same feeling I had about myself: the fact that I felt different. What if they found me off? What if, suddenly, they became reluctant about me being with Michael?

As if Michael heard my inner battles, he started telling me about how the workers created a new huge flower field to create new ecosystems. Somehow, it relaxed me, because everything felt just right and just like old times. Michael was so proud of his home, of what he built. Everytime he talked about it, you could hear the utter joy in his voice, and this was the best melody to my ears.

As we approached the guest house, my heart started beating a little bit faster inside my chest.

"Remember, they all think this is a regular gathering in your honor," he reminded me, and I nodded. "Oh, one last detail," he added. He came in front of me as he stopped pushing my chair. "I'm going to need your engagement ring, so that they don't see it before we tell them."