CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

A/N: hey there guys! As promised, here's chapter thirty-five. I hope you'll like it, I had fun writing this one. Enjoy!

— — — —

The sound of birds chirping outside was what took me out of my slumber. I tried my best to open my eyes fully, but I didn't manage to. Instead, I sank deeper in the mattress and hid my face under the covers. I turned around, hoping I'd find my husband's warm body next to mine, but all I found was an empty spot.

"Er, bummer," I huffed as I uncovered my face.

I blew on the strands of hair that got in my face and stayed there, watching the ceiling. I looked at the clock on the nightstand and realized it was already ten in the morning. Normally, I would have jumped out of bed to take care of Faraji, but I knew Michael took care of our son as he wasn't in bed with me.

The night was quite short and I was exhausted. Not only because of Michael and I's break of dawn talks, but also because of what followed. The questioning, the apprehensions, the fear mixed with the excitement... The last couple of days were full of different emotions, and I needed to refocus on what was important at this instant: introducing Faraji to his new lifestyle the smoothest way possible.

I made sure to make John my last concern, no matter what he was planning on saying about me.

However, I found it harder to get what he said about his dad out of my head. If Simon was sick and isolated, I needed to know. For years, him and his wife were the parental figures I needed to pull myself together. I doubt I would be where I am if it wasn't for them.

When I refused to give money to John, it didn't mean I didn't want to help his dad. If what he said was true, I needed to check up on him and establish a diagnosis on his condition.

But I had priorities. I wanted to focus on my family and our upcoming trip to Monaco. I wanted everything to go as smoothly as possible, which was mainly the reason why Michael and I stayed awake for most of the night. We established a plan: from the moment we'd land to the moment we'd reach the hotel. We wouldn't let this go wrong. This was way too important.

I heard the door creak, which tore me away from my thoughts. Soon, I recognized the slender silhouette of my husband through the dim room. He slowly walked to the bed without knowing I was fully awake, and sat down next to me on the covers.

"Hale," he whispered in his gentle voice, rubbing my hair gently. "It's time to wake up."

"Hey you," I greeted him, automatically snuggling closer to him. I put my head on his lap and closed my eyes again.  "Do I really have to get out of bed? Can't you stay here with me for a bit?"

"Five minutes," he told me with a little giggle, as he laid down next to me, under the covers. Without wasting a second, I snuggled closer to him and found refuge in the crook of his neck where I could smell his reassuring vanilla scent. "How long have you been awake?"

"Just a few minutes. I wished you'd be beside me, though," I said, which made my husband laugh a little. "Don't mock me! I know I'm clingy, it's your fault. I wasn't like that before I met you."

"And how did I make you clingy?" he asked, as I pulled away from him to have a look at his amused face.

"By being that fine piece of ass you are," I answered without hesitation, as Michael laughed in an embarrassed manner, hiding his face behind his tall hands. "Ah, come on!" I complained, fighting him so that he would put his hands away from his face. I straddled him and took his hand away from his face. "You need to stop hiding yourself behind your giant hands."