Marichat #1 ~ Lies ~

Okay, I'm sorry, this one is short and...sad :3

      Chat Noir knocked on the trapdoor again, fighting the urge to pace in impatience at how slow Marinette was in coming to open it for him.  He was extremely worried about her after everything that had happened at school that morning.  Worried that what he had done wasn't enough.  After all, Alya turning on her like that?  It must have been heartbreaking.

      It had all started when Lila Rossi had come back to school, carrying her usual sack of lies.  This time she seemed even more ambitious, and had somehow brainwashed everyone in the school except him into believing (among other wild stories) that Marinette was the liar.  The opposite was obviously the truth, but no matter how Adrien tried to point this out he only seemed to make things even worse for Marinette.

      Now the entire school, including Alya and Nino, hated Marinette and set her apart as a liar.  Adrien had tried to comfort her, and although it helped calm her for the most part, he wanted to make sure she knew Chat was on her side too. 

      When Marinette's head finally popped out of the balcony trapdoor, her eyes were puffy and her cheeks were streaked with tears that she had tried (and failed) to wipe away.  Even then she tried to smile at him, which made his heart crack.

      "Hey, Kitty," she whispered, her voice surprisingly steady.

      "Marinette, what happened?"  It took all of Chat's will power not to just wrap her in a hug and tell her everything was going to be okay.  Unfortunately, that would blow his cover and if he blew his cover Ladybug would murder him.

      "Nothing," Marinette said bluntly, climbing all the way up onto the balcony.

      "Princess," Chat begged, trying to get the hard part over so that he could help her.

      The catch in his voice was enough to send her over the edge.  She rushed towards him, almost knocking him over with a hug, then started sobbing into his chest while gasping out the story.  Chat Noir tried not to fill in the blanks with what he already knew as Adrien, but it was so hard when one of his closest friends was crying and begging him to believe her.  It also killed him that even in her grief she mentioned how kind Adrien had been after everything, and how he was trying to help her.  What did someone so selfless do to deserve something so cruel? 

      "I believe you," he settled for whispering over and over.  Every time she would pause or ask him, he repeated those three precious words.  "I believe you."

      The sun was long gone by the time they had talked everything over and Marinette's eyelids started to droop.

      "You should get to bed," Chat told her.

      "I have homework," was her only objection to letting him lift her up and bring her back to her room.

      Once she was in bed, Marinette smiled at him.  It was a slightly melancholy smile, but a smile nonetheless.  "At least the two most important people believe me," she whispered.

      The statement felt like a punch in the gut to Chat.  Whether it was the fact that she had called both sides of him 'the most important' or that he couldn't tell her there was really only one person who believed her that made his stomach lurch, though, he couldn't tell.

      "I'm sorry," he whispered on his way out, though he had no idea what he was apologizing for.  Lila's lies?  His own lies?  He couldn't tell, all he knew was that girl deserved an apology, and a much better one than he could give her.

      I'm so sorry...

~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 611

Picture: https://weheartit.com/entry/224751340

Yikes, okay, I'm sorry!  That was angsty.  Next time it'll be happier I promise.  :3  Also, I think this was written off of some kind of prompt/idea someone else had, but I wrote it so long ago I don't remember.  If you know who came up with the concept, please tell me! 

Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged! :D