Adrien #2 ~ Curiosity Killed the Cat pt. 2 ~

Adrien had to blink a few times to make sure that he was seeing correctly. Barely thinking, he took a few steps down the path. There was no way his mother could be in the basement, not as beautiful and as real as she looked. She was dead, had been for a long time. 

      Still, there was a part of Adrien that desperately wanted to believe that it was her. They had a basement now, which he never knew, maybe she'd just been asleep the whole time, living in this underground garden on some sort of weird retreat or something.  

      The closer Adrien got to the ominously beautiful coffin, though, the more questions he had.

      What was his mother--or this thing that looked very similar to her--doing down here?

      Was it his mother? 

      What had happened to her?

      How long had this place existed?

      Were those butterflies in the trees next to the walkway?

      Did his father know? 

      And, most importantly:

     Why had his father kept this a secret?

      Adrien pressed his hand to the glass nervously, wondering if the person inside was going to come alive and eat him. Nothing happened, there was no action or sound besides Adrien's own quickly speeding breathing. 

      This was his mother. There was no doubt. She had the little mole under her chin, and the scar on her wrist, and the smile lines around her eyes. The only difference between this woman and the mom he knew: this mom was here in front of him. 

      Adrien's eyes burned as his thoughts swirled. What had happened to her? Why was she her, just as young and beautiful as she was before her death? There were so many questions, and absolutely no answers.

      A butterfly landed next to Adrien's hand, fluttering it's wings slightly. It was pure white, and although Adrien knew a lot of butterflies, he didn't recognize this species. Wait...yes, actually, he did. Or at least, he thought he did. Maybe it was the late hour or the dark lighting, but Adrien could have sworn that this butterfly looked exactly like the butterflies he and Ladybug watched flutter away from them after every battle with an akumatized victim. Same curved wings, flight pattern, everything. 

      That could be a coincidence, but Adrien had never seen these butterflies anywhere else. That would mean...

      Adrien took a step back from the coffin in shock. 

      Hawkmoth had always been aiming for something, something much bigger than their Miraculous. He wanted a wish. What if his wish was for a loved one? A wife? 

      No, his father couldn't be Hawkmoth. He wouldn't be Hawkmoth!

      Then again, his father wouldn't keep his mother in a coma like state in the basement without telling his son. And that was exactly what had happened. Adrien wanted to believe differently, reminding himself of the Collector, and his father's love. His father was smart, though, too. And he knew how to get what he wanted. He knew how to manipulate situations to make it look like he was the good guy when he wasn't

      Adrien prepared to run, run to call Ladybug and tell him about his findings. He never made it.

      "Adrien?!" someone asked in shock behind him.

      Adrien felt his blood run cold. He knew that voice, and he knew it was the last voice he wanted to hear at that moment.

~~~~~~

Word count: 561

Picture: https://i.redd.it/qes453njubu31.jpg

I'm enjoying these cliffhangers a little too much. ;)

Y'all, we now have 4.8k+ reads, and I see new readers everyday. I don't know how to thank you enough. ;-; Your comments and votes mean a lot to me! <3

Thank you so much for reading! Please leave some constructive criticism! :D <3

11.6.20