Marichat #4 ~ Really ~

"Chat?" Marinette was surprised to see the superhero sitting on her balcony. "What are you doing here?" She had been planning to have a relaxing night with Tikki, but it didn't look like that was going to happen.

      "Hi," Chat replied dejectedly, sitting down on her railing. "Sorry to bother you, I just wanted to talk to someone."

      Marinette tilted her head, looking at her friend in concern. He was usually so easy going and full of energy, she didn't understand why he could suddenly be feeling so sad. Had something happened in his personal life?

      "What's going on?" she asked, moving to stand beside him. It reminded her of the first time they had had one of these encounters, nearly six months ago, when she had rejected him as Ladybug and been taken to his moonlit dinner as her civilian self. It wasn't so different now, she thought. They were still going in the same circle of rejection and pick me ups.

       Chat didn't speak immediately, then turned to Marinette. "Do you think I'm useless?" he asked her passionately.

      Marinette nearly took a step backwards. Chat...useless? Those two words didn't belong in a universe together, much less a sentence.

      "Of course you aren't," she told him. "Why in the world would you think that?"

      The superhero shrugged, "Ladybug can do most of her work without me. I know she says she needs me, so I would never leave her, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like if one day I just...disappeared, you know? Not from the world, just from being a superhero. Do you think anyone would miss me?"

       Marinette was struck dumb. She had no clue how Chat had gotten these ideas or how to debunk them for good. Sure, he didn't get as much attention as she did in the Parisian media or as many fans, but she had always assumed that he was okay with that. Part of her was angry that he was worried about something so trivial when there was still a villain on the loose, but one look in his eyes and she knew it went deeper than just attention. Something, or someone, in his personal life must have weakened his self esteem somehow.

      "I would miss you," she say, looking him in the eye. "Who else would I talk to in the middle of the night?"

      Chat smiled, but it wasn't very genuine.

      "Seriously," she insisted. "People love you Chat."

      "Really?" he gave her a side-long glance.

      "Really," Marinette nodded, putting a hand on his shoulder the best she could since he was sitting at such a high angle.

      Things were quiet for a few moments, then Chat spoke up again, "Thank you, Marinette. Really."

      "Of course," she smiled. He couldn't have known how much she meant those words.

~~~~~~~

Word count: 470

Picture: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/655484920738669675/

The irony of me posting this right after the last oneshot though...Anyway, I hope y'all enjoyed some Marichat! I know I enjoyed writing it!

It is officially time for my special announcement which is...

*Drum roll*

A new Miraculous book!!! It's called Worth the Risk, and it's based on the idea of Ladybug bringing Chat Noir back to life. If that sounds interesting to you, then you can check it out on my profile. I'm not 100% sure at the moment how often I will update it compared to this book, but hopefully it will be relatively consistent.

Thank