Ladynoir #2 ~ Deep Down ~

For years, Marinette had been in love with Adrien Agreste. At least she had thought she was in love with him. What was really just an infatuation, a love of the characteristics he possessed and the story she invented in her head about him, she had seen as true love. What was really stalking and creepy behavior she had seen as interest and a desire to know more about the love of her life. But at fourteen, there was no way she could have truly known those things. There was no way it could have been love. It was too superficial to last through the seas of adolescence.

      On the other hand, there was Chat Noir. Ever since they had gotten their Miraculous, Marinette had understood what she and Chat Noir stood. They were partners, heroes, and team that battled evil of all kinds. He may have liked her romantically, but she had never given him a second glance. All his talk of love made her laugh. What could he know about love? He'd never taken the time to get to know her. He couldn't possibly love her. Ironically, the same was true for her and Adrien, though she refused to admit it.

      Years went by, and little by little Chat had worn down her walls. She had become more open to him on their late night patrols and secretive meetings. She had allowed him to see who she was beneath the mask; not literally, but in an emotional way. She talked about her struggles and hardships, her joys and comforts, pretty much everything she felt her partner knew about and soon he was able to see what she was feeling without any help.

      Marinette wasn't sure when it happened, but one day after she had been really contemplating the two important boys in her life, she realized that she was not in love with Adrien after all.

      Sure, he was charming and sweet. He had the looks of, well, a model, and a life full of secrets waiting to be uncovered. But she had never uncovered them. Maybe she was a friend to Adrien, but she'd never taken the time to go deeper than that. The thought filled her with regret, and she was determined to treat him more respectfully from now on. Accepting who he was and wasn't, what they were and would never be.

      No, he was not the boy she had imagined him to be. It was another who had truly captured her heart.

      Someone who was kind as well, and just as sweet. Someone who could make her darkest days brighter with a simple word or joke, or work with her perfectly without having to try. Someone she did know, for just as she had opened to him, he had opened to her. She knew about his terrible home life, how he often felt worthless and overlooked. She knew that he loved fencing and making friends, and that he spent hours googling puns every night because he really enjoyed them.

       It was Chat Noir, her always loyal partner.

      "Kitty," she whispered the next day, stopping him from leaping away.

      "What is it, M'Lady?" Chat asked curiously.

      Ladybug didn't know what to say, so she didn't. She stood on her toes and kissed him, trying to tell him how sorry she was for hurting him and rejecting him, how hopeful she was that they could be more, but that she would respect him if he didn't want that. She didn't know how well she did, but it seemed to be good enough, because Chat's lips responded just as passionately. When oxygen became scarce they rested their foreheads on each others'.

      They must have stayed like that for some time, too, because the next interruption were two small beeps and then a rush of sparkles from both sides.

~~~~~
Word Count: 641

Picture: https://evartandadam.tumblr.com/image/133696757804

Completely written and edited on my phone, so I apologize if there were some typos or glitches. This has a similar vibe to the other Ladynoir oneshot, I know, but I hope you enjoyed it regardless. :,)

Thank you so much to everyone who has commented recently, it means so much and it's truly encouraging!

Please stay at home, safe and happy, everyone. Thank you for reading! Constructive criticism always welcome! :D <3