Songfic #1 ~ Fake Love ~

For you I could pretend I was happy when I was sad...

      Adrien was used to hiding his emotions.  It was part of his job; as a model you changed your face to fit the concept of the shoot.  So, it wasn't a problem for him to pretend like it didn't hurt him when Ladybug rejected him, when she repeatedly told him that she was in love with someone else.

For you I could pretend I was strong when I was hurt...

      It also wasn't hard for him to pretend that after akuma attacks, or a hard day with his father, that he had sustained no injuries, physical or emotional.  He was strong, like she needed him to be.

I wish that love was as perfect as love itself...

      Despite her physical and mental masks, Adrien was positive that he was in love with Ladybug.  He had always dreamed of having a fairy tale romance like his parents, but the older he got the more he realized that love was messy; that people didn't always click, even when they wanted to.

I wish all my weaknesses could be hidden...

      Was it his own weaknesses and flaws that made Ladybug turn him down?  Did she look through his happy-go-lucky persona and see the boy who had cracked after losing one parent in the flesh and the other in all the ways that really mattered?

I grew a flower that can't be bloomed in a dream that can't come true...

      Despite the constant rejection from his partner, Adrien kept up hope.  One day.  One day he would be good enough for her.

I wanna be a good man (Just for you)...

      Almost everything Adrien did, he did so that Ladybug would love him.  He got good grades and put his all into fencing so that one day, when their identities were revealed, he would have nothing to be ashamed of.  He could be someone she could proudly call her partner.

I gave the whole world (Just for you) I change everything (Just for you)...

      He would give anything for just a little affection from her.  Even without it he knew he would move heaven and Earth if it would make her happy.  He would follow her anywhere.  He was so lucky to be her Chat Noir.

Now I dunno me (Who are you?)...

      But being Ladybug's partner wasn't all fun and games.   Especially when 'partner' was a strong word.   It was more 'sidekick' or 'helpful distraction for akumas'.  The constant imbalance of power changed Adrien in ways he didn't even notice at first.

Forest just for us, you weren't there, The route I took, I forgot...

      He also started to mentally compare himself to Chat Noir and Ladybug.  Only a bit at first, but soon it was about everything.   If I was Chat Noir I wouldn't have done that.  Ladybug would never be so stupid... He didn't know how to stop.

I even became quite unsure who I was...

      Suddenly, it seemed as if Adrien didn't exist as only Adrien.  Adrien was more of a persona at this point that Cat Noir, his secret identity.  But Cat Noir didn't have to hide, or pretend.  He was free, and he was with Ladybug.  Adrien was nothing compared to that.

Love you so bad, Love you so bad...

      Adrien loved Ladybug so much, no matter how many times she hurt him.  She was a way to escape, a rock in the storm of life.