Adrien #1 ~ Curiosity Killed the Cat ~

Adrien knew that it was probably time to get over his mom. Not forget her, of course. But it had been more than a year, and after a year most people wouldn't still think about her every night before they went to bed, wondering what it would be like if she was still with them. If she could see the progress he'd made in school, go to his fashion shows and fencing matches, eat meals with him when his father was busy.

      Nathalie was there for him, and she'd been an incredible help to him in the last year. Still...she couldn't replace his mom. Not even close.

      Tonight was one of those nights when Adrien was busy catching up on school assignments and thinking about Ladybug, and that's when his brain usually wandered to his mom. Then after his mom came the random urge to go and get a drink before he slept.

      Creeping down the stairs as quiet as a cat, Adrien made his way to the kitchen and got some milk. When his mom was alive they would do this if he had a nightmare, but it'd been years since then. Still, for some reason this particular ritual had come to mind when he was doing his math homework, and he was glad it did. It was a good way to brighten the mood that night.

       Sipping his milk and staring at nothing, Adrien suddenly remembered something else connected to his mom. Everything seemed to these days, for some reason.

      There was a picture he'd drawn of them, but he couldn't remember where he'd last seen it. Somewhere, very recently...

      His eyes lit up, then he groaned inaudibly. His father's office. Of course. Was it worth going in there to get it, considering the risk?

      Yes, a voice that sounded oddly like Plagg whispered in his head. Had...had Plagg become his conscience or something?

      Brushing off the thought, Adrien put his cup in the sink and went to his father's office, knowing he wouldn't be there so late at night. Opening the door, he moved as quickly as he could. Plan: get to the desk, look around for the picture, get out in 10 minutes if he couldn't find it. 

      The ten minute mark was quickly approaching when Adrien accidentally pushed a folder marked To Burn off the desk. He was frozen for a few seconds, wondering if the noise had woken someone up or set off an alarm, even though it was quieter than a feather. There was no sound of movement, so he continued. 

      When Adrien reached down to pick up the folder, he realized that the paper on top was the same as the picture on the wall behind him, the portrait of his mom. The difference, however, was this picture had colored dots marking it, corresponding to a code on the back. The orange ones really caught Adrien's eye, as they were coded Basement. Agreste Manor didn't have a basement. 

      Forgetting the phrase "curiosity killed the cat," Adrien took the paper over to the portrait and pressed the dots that were marked orange on the page. Nothing happened. He tried another combination, and another, and another, but they all had the same result: failure. Adrien thought for a moment, then stuck the paper in his pocket and hit all three buttons at once.

      The ground underneath him started moving and Adrien had to cover his mouth to stop himself from gasping too loudly. He was descending below the floor of the office. Desperately, Adrien reached up to climb out of the hole that he was sinking into, but it closed before he got the chance.

      This must be a booby trap, Adrien panicked. I'm doomed. 

      Thoughts of public school and his friends vanishing flooded his mind, until the capsule he was traveling in stopped and opened, almost like an elevator.

      In front of him was something he would have thought impossible: an underground garden. That wasn't the most unbelievable part, though. At the end of a long pathway through the garden there was a clear coffin, tilted so that it could easily be seen from the elevator. And inside, well, it was impossible, but it looked like his mom

~~~~~~~

Word count: 705

Picture: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/173107179405778789/?nic_v2=1a145pZMP

We have hit 3.5k+ reads and 100+ votes, thank you all SO much!!! I'm not sure what to think of this one to be honest, but I think I like it. It's fun exploring the world of Miraculous and what would happen in a situation like this. 

Also, I rearranged the order of the one shots to be in order of ship, as you probably noticed. 

Thank you for reading! Constructive criticism encouraged! :) <3