See You Soon

20 Years Later

New York City...home of over 8.1 million lives as it consists of five major boroughs; Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, Staten Island and Manhattan. Manhattan is considered to be the most densely populated of the five boroughs; it serves as the economic, administrative, cultural and the historical birthplace of most of its residents. It is surrounded by the rivers of Harlem, East and Hudson. But the main neighborhood that holds significant importance to me is Hell's Kitchen. My once home before the orphanage where I spent three long years before leaving in the middle of the night for something better. It holds a reputation for its grittiness has had the longest real-estate prices below the national average and secretly has criminal organizations running throughout the city. But it was also the home of my best friend...a friend back at Saint Agnes Orphanage that I abandoned when we were kids and promised to one day return once I figured out what I needed to figure out. Over the years I did keep tabs on him when he left the orphanage to attend Columbia University. I know he met a new best friend named Franklin Nelson and the both of them attended the University for Law. I watched him date girls but nothing was too serious for him, there was one but it didn't work out in the end. I know he and Nelson interned for the Law Firm Landsman and Zack for a few years before deciding to go on their own with their own firm. I knew that he bought an apartment near where New York suffered the incident because how cheap the rent probably was. The incident was when the Avengers took the fight of the aliens to the center of the city and left behind the damaged city. Hell's Kitchen was hit the worst by the attack as I passed by police tape and construction sites on my walk. The city was struggling to repair itself after the incident but at least they were trying to move on from what happened. Clutching my backpack strap in my hand I was making my way to Matt's apartment to surprise him of my return. I moved back early in the week; I had an apartment about five blocks from him and I owned a new office area for my new job as a Private Investigator. I was about a few minutes from Matt's apartment when I heard something happen on the roof of the building in front of me. Looking up I saw a dark figure dressed in all black with a mask tied across their face to conceal their identity appeared. The apartment where they came from was Matt's as he started running to the next roof and then the next roof. Something was wrong as I threw my other strap from my backpack over my shoulder, tossed up my hood that covered my bob cut brown hair and began my run in the close by alleyway. Using my agility I kicked the wall and the trash can with my feet to boost myself onto the fire escape ladder. I pulled myself up climbing up the ladder then repeated the process until I got to the roof of the building. In the distance I saw the figure in black parkouring to the next few roofs until I caught the direction he was heading. He was heading to the river and what I did was I followed him not giving him the indication that anyone was following him. Eventually I heard grunting of a fight below as I took a shipping counter in the distance and out of view watching the fight unfolding below me. The way the man fought I knew who it was; I remembered the training and a small smile formed on my face. Below was the man in black fighting a group of men while a group of terrified young girls were crying in a shipping container. I dropped my bag to the floor as I dug my hand into it pulling a small stick before flicking it and it turned into a bow. Taking an arrow from the bag I attached it to the string, pulled it back and let it press to my chin. I took aim until I saw the man in black finish the fight and was telling the girls who was crying in the shipping container to run. They obeyed as I spotted a guy starting to stand with a knife and quietly were getting ready to plunge it into the man in black's backside. For a quick exhale I released the arrow I had aimed snagging the man's jacket sending him towards the container and pins him there. The man in black glanced up at my direction but luckily for me my face was obscured with my hood for him to sense me.

"I'll see you soon Matt..." I whispered grabbing my backpack and slipping into the shadows before he could hear me clearly.