Prologue of the Devil's Heart

I took a long deep drag from Dax's vape pen and blew it in his face. He opened his mouth wide to let it in before clashing his lips to mine wrapping his arms around my waist.

"It's the police," my friend Qulil announces and we all begin to scatter in different directions like mice.

Dax held my hand tightly as we ran through the forest. We should have known a group of kids who went missing from their parents and end up on a hike in the woods with drugs would be caught sooner or later. Not to mention the fact that we have crossed an area that was strictly cut off more than ten years.

We meet in a circular area like a mirror that's just been shown to us. It was odd but we decided to keep running when I tripped over a branch. I slam into the erosion of the forest head first and crack my nose open.

"Hey guys! Look!" Dax says not bothering to help me up. When I look at him he has a small box covered in mud and tree roots in his hands.

He smiles opening the box but his smile quickly fades.

He begins to screech real loud scaring us. He drops the box and begins to become transparent. Red scar marks take the form of an X on his forehead as more deep scars appear across his body. His neck snaps and break curves as he falls to the ground screeching.

The policemen catch up to us telling us to run. Everyone did except for my friend Quilil, who tried to pull me with her. I couldn't leave Dax alone so I shove her to the ground and tell her to leave without me. She doesn't.

His once so ivory skin turned a dark gray as his eyeballs turned to the back of his head drawing blood out of his eyes.

I run over and close the box taking it in my arms.

He still proceeds to scream but the scars no longer take his body. He falls to the ground shivering rapidly. I run to his side calling his name, asking him what was wrong.

"Do you love me Fam?"

"Yes I do!"

"Then run," he says in a deep voice rising as his facial expression changes from a soft physiognomy to a wicked countenance.

Scared to death, I do what he says grabbing Quilil's hand. We begin to run as fast as out legs could take us. I hear gun shoots and screams and police shouting for backup. A roar shakes the trees in the forest and I look back. No one was there, everyone was gone. Quilil grabbed me and pushed me forward demanding me to run faster.