Chapter Two of The Devil's Heart

After two years in Europa 51 facilities, I was discharged and going back to school. Everyone knew of my condition and I always go weird or mocking stares my way.

One of my old teachers, Mr. Konnet had seen me in the hallway and called me over.

"Yes Mistr Ko - Konnet."

"You could call me K for short."

"No, nah, I - I need to pah practice t - talking."

He smiled a fake smile that showed worry. "You know I run the Christian Club on campus. An old friend of yours is the president of the club. What do you think about joining."

"No," I answered without a second thought.

"I shouldn't just say an old friend. an old best friend of yours."

"Q -Qu- lil?"

"Yes," he smiles again, this time his dimples appear upon his cheeks.

"I - okay. I'm in."

He clasped his hands together making me jump walking to the door and opening it in it telling me if I'm ready to meet her the kids are here now.

"Aight," I respond.

He opens the door and a hurl of freshman and sophomore kids walk in before three junior walk in. One of them being Quilil.

She looked at me then briefly turned around telling everyone to get out the classroom. Against resistance and a few remarks, she glares until everyone exits the room but me. She had grabbed my arm and pulled me back pulling me into a hug.

"Q- Qa."

"It's okay ," she spoke. "We must start work immediately," she says bringing out an envelope from her black glittery shawl.

"Wha - what is it?"

"It's a letter from Dax, he needs our help."

I grab it ripping it open. It was his handwritting. His signature. His lovely poetry written for me.

"Why? When did you get this?"

"Ten months after his disappearance. He wrote us all one. Landon moved to foresthill, Jadie is homeschooled, Max refuses to talk to me, and Heidi committed suicide when she got the letter. The other's refused to listen to me."

"I-I'm sorry I left."

"No need to apologize," she says interrupting me.

"We-we, we hav- have a ch - chance of bring Dax b - back."

I never use to the stutter so many found pity when they heard me speak after so many years but Quilil did not show much expression.

"We can't do it alone."

"I - I - I'll speak to Ja -Jadie and Ma - m Max. You speak to Z- Xanax and Ba- ba -B -Bertha."

She nods as I hold onto the envelope.

" I sure - should have nev - never lef- left him."

"We should have never been there in the first place," she spoke opening the Bible. "Anyways, I'll walk you home and we can talk more later. There's a group of people waiting to hear my sermon."

I tell her to wait before she opens the door and lets others in. " W-Where is he?"