The Legend of the Hell Cats

My mother locked the door as my sister and I sat and she peered out the window. Men upon the street and men who left their wives went out to speak to the group of women. They were beautiful women with golden brown skin, slanted eyes, and long hair. They were petit yet tall and wore gold.

  I glanced from the kitchen window.

  Everyone knew these gorgeous women were known as the Hellcats. They come prying on lustful men, young men, and old men telling them that they will sleep with them for money but it was a lie. For the sins of the man who agreed to go with them. The women and her small Hell Kittens would devour the man earning him an eternity in hell. The go after women too who have greed or like other women.

  One of the Kittens looked at me and smiled. I close the window running back to where my sister sat. 

  These women who tempting and I knew this because of my father had fallen for one of the cat women. He is long gone now.

 There was a knock on a door before a hissing fit came. My mother ordered my younger sister to my room to watch me.

  "Go away. They aren't no men in here."

  "I'm not a women," the Kitten purred. "I'm here for the boy." 

  "He's just thirteen!" she screamed.

  "Not a year older than me," the girl spoke. "I come with riches, I will bring you and your family out of poverty," she spoke.

  "Go away and come back when you want to marry my son."

  "I want to marry him. I brought my dowry."

  There was a silence and I hear the door open. My sister and I look at each other with pleading eyes.

  "Where are you?" the girl purred.

  "They cannot promise you anything," I tell my seven year old sister. "They can not bring anyone from the dead, not me, not mother, they can't give you riches or give you a good time. Do not fall for any of their tricks," I tell her shoving her under the bed.  I show her the knife I took from the kitchen without mother noticing. "Pray for me." I say hiding it back under my sleeve as I exit the room.