Prologue to Mars

Earth appeared in our vision and we all yelped in joy as she became bigger. We had been out here in space for more than five months and all we wanted right now was to get back to our family and friends. It was earlier than we expected but we knew we could always come back out.

  The first people to live in space for a few months have been accomplished. Now we can enjoy ourselves back in our dear home planet. I watched us circle to Earth when I notice something as we got closer. It was not that blue and the fields not that green. It was brown and a hideous color.

  I went up to see what the lead pilot Ezer was thinking. I look into the office to see him having a difficult trouble trying to find where to enter at. The spot he was looking for was unidentifiable as we went around in a circle like an orbit.

  I walked in and asked him what was going on.

  He had told me that he had lost contact with others about a month ago. He admitted he didn't want to alarm us so he decided telling us that we were told to come back would make us not worry. He had no idea that, when they left that when they came back that the Earth would look like this.

  When we left there was still plenty of greenery on the earth. Now there was nothing in a split of a second the whole earth was dying.

  "Where do we go?"

  He looks at me calmly and demands me to fetch the others.