Stocking Stuffer

Christmas time was truly the best time to be a borrower. So much tissue paper was left out, low pine tree branches were perfect for fires, and don't even get me started on all the baked goods humans just left out!

Tonight was Christmas Eve, the best night for borrowing ever. The two kids went to bed early, and the family left out some cookies and a cup of milk.

I waited until the kids went upstairs, and their parents shortly followed. I waited an extra minute, just to be sure. I pushed back the outlet cover and jumped onto the mantel. The fire was out, and all lights were turned off, but I was used to this. The plate of cookies were left on a low table in the middle of the room, so it should be pretty easy to get to.

I grabbed my hook from my bag, but in doing so I caught a glimpse of the Christmas tree. It was beautifully decorated with ornaments and lights and tinsel, and perfectly wrapped gifts littered the floor all around it. Being a borrower was great and all, but it was sad that we couldn't have traditions like this too.

I quickly shook my longing thoughts away, I had a job to do. I dug the hook into the mantle. When o pulled on the rope to make sure it was stable, I tripped on some tinsel and fell off. I let out a scream, but quickly cut it off by covering my mouth with my hands. I closed my eyes and braced myself for impact, when I fell into something soft.

I opened my eyes, and found myself inside one of those long songs humans hung above the fireplace. Wait a minute... this would be the first thing the kids look inside tomorrow morning!! I have to get out of here! I tried to push myself up, but the sock-no the humans called it a stocking-was already filled with small chocolates and toys, making impossible to get a footing.

I gave up and let myself fall backwards. I reached out and grabbed a somewhat triangular chocolate wrapped in a silver coating. It had a little paper sticking out of the top, but I couldn't read. I opened it up and started eating it. If this is how I die, at least my last meal will be delicious.

When I was about halfway done the chocolate, I heard footsteps. I tended up, and listened as closely as I could. There were certainly two pairs of footsteps. They sounded fairly light, so I was pretty sure that it was the kids.

"Are you sure Santa won't get mad?" whispered the little girl, Alice.

"Of course not! He's long gone by now, and besides they are our presents," whispered the slightly older brother, Greg.

I heard the pair enter the living room, though I could tell they were trying to be quiet.

"Just a little peak, right Greggy? Cause if mommy and daddy find out I'm telling them it's your fault,"

I almost let out a scream of fright, they were much too close for comfort.

"Yeah yeah just a little peak. Woah! Look how full my stocking is!" Greg whisper shouted.

Crap crap crappitty crap! I was about to dive deeper into the the stocking, when a small hand reached in and wrapped around my ankle. It pulled me out and I got nautious from the sudden movements. When the world stopped moving, I was met with the upside down face of Alice.

She had black almond eyes, long black hair with bangs and sharp, pointed face. She cocked her head to the side, like a confused puppy. I yelped as she poked me in the side. She giggled to herself and rushed over to her brother who was looking inside his own stocking.

"Greggy look! Santa got me a tiny person! Aren't they cute?" she squealed.

She thrusted me in front of Greg's face. I probably would've  thrown up if I wasn't starving. Greg turned to me and his eyes widened. He looked a lot like his sister, with jet black hair and almond eyes, except his face was more rounded.

"What the...?" he whispered to himself before plucking me out of sisters grasp.

"Hey! They're mine!" Alive whined.

"I don't belong to anyone!" I hissed.

Both children's eyes widened, and I quickly clasped my hands over my moth.

"You can talk?" Greg asked as he readjusted me so that I was sitting in his palm.

I shook my head no.

"What's your name? Do you have a name? Did Santa send you? Can I name you?" Alive asked, while jumping up and down.

Well there was no going back now. I sighed before answering her.

"Yes I have a name, it's Y/N. No I wasn't sent by Santa, I have no clue who that is. And you can absolutely not name me!"

"Well if Santa didn't send you, how'd you get in her stocking?" Greg asked.

I twiddled with my fingers nervously. I was scared to tell them the truth that I planed in taking the cookies. Even though they're just kids, I couldn't do anything against them if they got mad. But I also had to answer them...

"I was looking for food, but I tripped off the mantle and fell in," I said.

It wasn't a complete lie, just not the whole truth.

"Well Santa didn't eat all the cookies, so you can have some of those," Alice smiled.  "Oh, I'm Alive by the way, and that's my big brother Greg,"

"Yeah I kno-I mean it's nice to meet you," I smiled as well.

Greg set me down by the cookies, and the pair watched as I devoured one. When I finished, I felt very satisfied.

"You're so cute," Alice cooed.

"You do realize that I'm older than you right?" I asked, a smirk crossing my face.

"Yeah. But you're still a lil cutie," she said as she pat the top of my head.

I made a noise of content. I was absolutely terrified of being caught by these kids, but they weren't at all bad. Greg looked over his shoulder, where my hook was still embedded in the mantle by the open outlet cover.

"Do you have to go back to your home now?" Greg asked with a frown.

"Not just yet, it's Christmas after all," I smiled.