Innovation

It took three days of training that style to feel comfortable with it. She knew she wouldn't be able to take on a master but she could hold her own in any other situation. At least that was the plan after adding in a few other styles. The next style practiced was meant for a shielded person. Since she didn't have a shield they modified it for use with her dagger. The style was based around defending with one weapon and striking with another. She kept her dagger held upside down with the blade just above her navel. The long sword horizontally at eye level like a spear would be. She knew the majority of the skills were based around thrusts with the sword and slashes with the dagger. The issue was, it didn't feel right to her. She felt there was so much it could do better. There were no trees in the area they were, so Fa used a training stick so they could spar. These sparring sessions were harder than anything Rain had previously experienced. She was forced to stay in the form she was practicing, but to simulate all possible outcomes, Fa would switch between stances and techniques at will. Rain was having a difficult time with it. She could never block an incoming strike the right way with her dagger to set up a proper thrust. Everything was just wrong. To add insult to injury Fa was basically dancing circles around her. She was getting hit every which way. She could feel each welt coming up as she was struck in the arms, legs, cheeks and even breast. She was getting furious and getting that way fast.

What she didn't know was, that was exactly what Fa wanted. The way Fa saw it if she quit now she wouldn't be killed later. Luna saw just how badly Fa wanted Rain to quit. She refused to interfere though. She told herself "if someone quit this easily they would die for sure against the prince and his hordes when the time came." Of course, Luna was correct in that thought. Many had died. Even the best of warriors from their respective homes had been killed without any effort from the Horric Prince. It was a sad fact that anyone who had a shred of self-doubt would be killed against someone of that power.

Rain wasn't thinking of self-confidence. No, Rain was thinking of how to defeat her opponent. She removed all outside distractions from her brain. The link between her and Storm became stronger.

"Is this not cheating little one?"

"I will have to use everything I have to defeat my father. Now is the best time to practice these skills."

"Then we will join you as well." The cloak started to writhe. As it did the girl could once again feel every vibration around them. Storm provided her a sense of smell. It was so strong she could place where Fa and Luna both were, as well as a small animal hiding in the grass around them. It was so strong it was almost overwhelming. The cloak helped handle that part. She felt the cloaks threads tug at her nerves. It hurt for a moment, but then everything leveled out. It was as if she had always had these abilities. She rushed in at Fa. she only wanted to land one good strike, but every time she thrust her stick Fa slipped out of the way and landed up to two on her in return. It was getting to be too much for her to handle.

"Little one, think for me. Take but a single moment and think about what is happening. Use what you are gifted with by storm and ourselves alike." Rain started to catch her breath as she did when this journey first truly started. She closed her eyes and let the senses provided by the cloak and Storm guide her. The darkness brought about peace again. In the distance of the darkness she swam in she could see the dragon dancing through the dark. It soothed her to see it moving so gracefully again. Suddenly an idea came to her. She didn't waste any time using it. She lowered her stance. Fa watched as the girl created a ninety-degree angle with her rear leg and left her front leg out straight, both feet still flat on the ground. She opened her eyes and gagged the distance she needed to travel. Fa noticed she was doing just that, but couldn't react in time. Rain dashed forward thrusting the sword towards the chin of Fa. Fa dodged the thrust, but only just. That was not enough this time though. Rain slashed out with her dagger going up and towards her own right shoulder. The tip of the dagger stick grazed the nose of Fa. Fa let her breath out when Snap! A sharp sting of a whipped switch made contact where the neck made the shoulder. The girl had improvised a new move for the form. She used the thrust to distract and the dagger slash to move the person where she wanted them. This left there neck exposed. With a spinning backslash, Rain landed a killing blow. The sparring session was over.