Sure It Isn't, Pa, Sure It Isn't

The Lion And His Lioness -- A Hamilton Fanfiction
Chapter 4 - Sure It Isn't, Pa, Sure It Isn't

Martha
Sitting down with my child as she wore the blue uniform, my mind was racing with different scenarios that could play out if George were to find out. He would kill me for sending our child to war, our child of seven even though two had passed onto the other side. I always believed that it was God's will to bring her here, as a type of apology for taking our first biological son that we had together, Michael, far too soon. They're the same age and both loved to play the piano and learn French, along with Spanish.

Anyway, looking at my daughter in the blue army uniform, my mind seemed to still as she looked back at me with her now shoulder-length, or just slightly longer, hair. Instantly, I was reminded of George. "You remind me of George," I told her as I looked at her. She giggled, a smile on her lips. Sighing quietly, I pulled her in for a hug. "Promise me."

"Promise you what, Ma?" She asked me, looking at me in confusion as she hugged back.

"Promise me that you will survive. I can't lose you, not after Lillianna and Daniel passed on to the other side," I responded, my heart aching as I remembered the look on my children's faces as they passed away.

"I promise, Ma. I will survive, I know I will." She promised. I nodded, fixing her blue coat slightly.

"Now, names," I said, clapping my hands together. "What did you have in mind?"

An hour later, we finally had a first name and a surname. Bubba would go in as Jacob Wolf, a name she's always loved but never known why. Smiling, I helped my daughter put her bags in the carriage that had arrived to take her to where she had to travel to the camp where her father resided.

"Good luck, dear," I told her, kissing her forehead.

"Don't worry, Ma. I'll write, I promise," she promised before the carriage and she was on her way. On her way to war...

Esperanza
I watched the rolling fields pass by, my mind racing with scenarios of if Pa found out about me joining the army to fight for the country's freedom alongside him. Sure he would hate me, but it's for the greater good. The Lord knows that this army needs all the help it can get.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, I hopped out of the carriage and grabbed my bag. I thanked the carriage driver and quickly made my way towards Pa's camp. In my head, I kept repeating four simple words. Over. And over. And over. Please don't kill me. Please don't kill me. Please don't kill me.

Knowing me, luck wasn't on my side so Pa would probably find out. Great. Hopefully, it's when the war ends. Then again, that might not be for ten years... you know what, never mind! If he finds out, I just hope he doesn't send me home. However, he probably will. He's.... protective...

Taking a deep breath, I made my way towards my father's tent. I breathed in again and made sure that I was prepared to see him. I mean, he wouldn't notice that it was me... right? No, of course not. He's smart but he's not that smart... Okay, now I'm just slandering my own father.

Get a grip, Esperanza! He's your father...

He isn't though. He's now your general. You need to show more respect than you do at home with him.

It's similar.

It's completely different.

Shaking my head, I gently tapped the flap. "Sir?" I asked into the tent, bracing myself.

"Come in," he answered. I took a deep breath and entered the tent to see him scribbling a note on some paper. "Who are you?"

"I-I'm Jacob Wolf, Sir. I'm a new soldier and I don't have a tent." I replied. He nodded and looked down at what he was writing. I sneaked a glance and saw that it was a letter to Ma, my siblings, and I. Oh boy, he's definitely going to kill me when he finds out. No doubt about it.