What Would Be Enough For Him?

The Lion And His Lioness -- A Hamilton Fanfiction
Chapter 28 - What Would Be Enough For Him?

Alexander
A week later I was holding Philip in my arms in Rena and I's bed as the former of us two slept, drained from something I knew far too well; grief. Gently running one of my fingers over Philip's cheek, I smiled gently at my son. "Oh Philip when you smile, I am undone," I sang softly, the tune simply coming naturally to me. I was going to continue but stopped when I felt Rena stir next to me slightly. I held my breath as she shifted before relaxing again, cuasing me to release the breath I was holding. "And I thought I was so smart."

Smiling down at my son, I felt Rena's hand clasp mine as her head came to rest on my shoulder. "You're going to be a great father, Alexi," she whispered, smiling at our little boy that had brought joy into our lives. I hoped so. Gently setting our son between us in the bed, Rena and I lay down next to him and slowly but surely fell asleep to the calming sounds of our son breathing and his little giggles he made in his sleep.

The next morning I awoke to a cold bed. I glanced to my left and saw Rena wasn't next to me this morning. Sighing, I got up and headed downstairs only to be greeted by my wife talking with my best friend from the war, Hercules Mulligan. "Herc, what a lovely surprise!" I exclaimed in shock. I didn't think Herc would be here today, I thought he would come next week.

"Hey, Lion!" Herc greeted back, shaking my hand as he came over to greet me. I smiled as Rena continued to play with Pippy. "Be careful, Ranzy, I don't think Alexander wants his son to be injured!" Herc joked lightly, causing the three of us to chuckle. We all sighed, remembering that Jack would have made the same joke if he were here. Rena sniffed, quickly occupying her mind with looking after our month old son.

"What do you want to do today, Rena?" I asked, wrapping an arm around her waist. She shrugged helplessly, holding Philip close to her chest. I sighed sadly, kissing her cheek before Herc told us he had to go. We both nodded and bid our friend goodbye, promising to see him later.

I sighed. Life wasn't the same anymore; Laurens dead, Rena not really here anymore, Philip being born. At least Philip can't go wrong, right? Right. I watched helplessly as Esperanza took Philip with her to go visit the Schuylers, telling me that she needed to talk to Angelica about something. I merely nodded, knowing she needed time to process Jack's death. The two were close, extremely close.

A-After the war I went back to New York

It was true; after the war had ended I took up position in New York to be there for my son and my wife.

I practiced law, Burr worked next door

Burr
Even though we started at the very same time, Alexander Hamilton began to climb. How to account for his rise to the top? The man is non-stop!

"Gentlemen of the jury, I'm curious, bear with me." Alexander started. Here we go, I thought as I rolled my eyes. We were in for another lecture from Mr A. Hamitlon. "Are you aware that we're making history? This is the first murder trial of our brand-new nation! The liberty behind deliberation."

Non-stop!

"I intend to proce beyond a shadow of a doubt, with my assistant counsel-"

"Co-counsel Hamitlon, sit down." I interrupted, pulling Alexander down to sit next to me before standing up to get ready to preset our point. "Our client Levi Weeks is innocent. Call your first witness. That's all you had to say."

"Okay! One more thing-" He then proceeded to go on a tangent, cuasing me to groan into my hands.

Why do you assume you're the smartest in the room? Soon that attitude may be your doom! I warned in my head, knowing Alexander would refute the idea.