But Now It Was Time To Go Back To War

The Lion And His Lioness -- A Hamilton Fanfiction
Chapter 13 - But Now It Was Time To Go Back To War

Angelica
I was talking with Peggy, she was telling me about a certain freckle-faced soldier who she said was called John Laurens, when I saw my other younger sister, Elizabeth, emerge from the crowd with a burdened look on her face. Peggy and I shared a glance before helping Eliza to sit down in one of the many seats that adorned the outer edge of the room.

"Lizzy? What's wrong?" Peggy asked immediately after we helped her to sit down and get somewhat comfortable in these dresses and in the seat. She took deep breaths as she looked around the room.

"Do you two remember our childhood friend, Esperanza Washington?" She asked us. Peggy and I shared another glance as we both nodded. "Well, she's found someone who she wants to court."

"Isn't that a good thing, though?" I asked her, confused by the situation. "She's found someone to court her. She would be happy, she'd be able to have children with this man. What's so wrong about that, Eliza?"

Eliza shook her head, her eyes looking around the room for, who I thought, might be Alexander. "She wants to be able to court Alexander." My eyes widened as I processed this news.

"The one who you want to court?" Peggy asked. Eliza nodded her head, some wisps of hair falling out of place. "Oh, Lizzy!"

"I don't know what to do... It comes down to me and what I want, doesn't it? I get to decide on their future, don't I?" She asked no one in particular, her eyes settling on Alexander and Ezme talking and dancing together. I watched the duo dance, both looking extremely happy.

Even though it pains me to say, why can't Alexander see that he's much happier with Ezme than he is with Eliza? The two of them were practically glowing, radiating the love that they felt for each other without even realizing it. It was weird, if I'm being honest with you. When I first met Alexander, I thought that it would be us that radiated that type of feeling for each other. Then, when Eliza told me that he was hers, I thought it would be them. But now, as I watched Alex and Ezme dance together, I can see now how they were practically made for each other, as if they could face anything and always come out on top.

Turning back to Eliza, I watched as Peggy hugged her tightly. "You are right, Eliza. It's all down to you and what you want for yourself, or for them. What is your verdict, Eliza?" I asked her, my heart beating quickly in my chest. I don't know why. Maybe it was hope that she was going to be selfish and agree to court Alexander if he were to ask. It probably was. But, I knew my sister.

I knew that she would want Ezme to be happy, even if that costed her happiness and her happy ever after with the 'man of her dreams'. If it meant Ezme would get a happy ever after with the man she loved, then so be it. Eliza would make sure that would happen, I know she would. That's just who Elizabeth Schuyler was.

Sitting next to her, I gently took her hand in my own. "What do you choose, Eliza?"

Esperanza
I smiled brightly as I danced with the man I loved for what was probably going to be the last time. I had to brace myself for the fact that Elizabeth Schuyler would be his wife, and I would just be another girl on the side that was love-sick for the man that held me in his arms as we spun in circles, talking and laughing. I had to cherish this last moment of him being able to dance with another woman without being called out for supposedly cheating on his significant other.

I knew that it was up to me to pick their destiny. I knew they were destined to be together but, in my teenage hormone driven, love-filled, selfish mind, I wanted to be with him. I wanted to be with him, but I had to let Beth wed him. That's who he wanted to be with; he wanted to be with Elizabeth Schuyler, a woman who would secure his social status in society.