Martha Lied

The Lion And His Lioness -- A Hamilton Fanfiction
Chapter 11 - Martha Lied

Esperanza
It had been nine months since Lee had... raped... me. Pa told me that, because I was nine months with child, I was to stay near him if he was in camp. If he wasn't in camp but one of the boys, meaning Alexi, Laffy, Mulli and/or Jackie, were in camp then I was to stay with them. If none of them were at camp, and Pa meant none of them including himself or any other general he trusted me to be with while he was gone, then I was to stay in my tent until one of the boys came to get me. I definitely trusted him for this so I didn't really mind. I mean, if it kept me and my child safe, then I was happy to do what it meant to keep my child safe.

Luckily, the Schuyler's Winter's Ball was coming up. I've been asked by a few men in the army to go with me. Oh, are you wondering how the men in the army know what my real gender is? Well since I'm with child, I can't wear the normal uniform. I always had my hair down now, it's somehow grown back to it's normal length which surprised Pa and myself with how quick it grew.

I was just brushing my hair when the tent flap opened. I looked up to see Laffy stood in the doorway, smiling at me with his soft fuzzy hair tide up into a tight ponytail. "Bonjour, mademoiselle," he greeted with his French accent as he came over and took the brush from my hand and continued to brush my hair. I smiled at him as he brushed my hair gently, as to not hurt me. "The Winter's Ball coming up soon."

"Yeah. But I have no one to go with." I told him. He smiled down at me softly but as I looked into his eyes, I saw regret and was that... jealousy? Ignoring the look, I watched as he placed a piece of paper on my pillow probably thinking I wasn't looking. When I knew he had left, I got up and headed to my bed. I gingerly picked up the piece of paper and unfolded it, my heart exploding when I saw John's hand writing.

My dearest, Zar,
As you know, the Winter's Ball is fast approaching. I wish to take you to the ball with me, as my date. I do hope you agree to this invitation. If you do, meet me by the oak tree on the top of the hill. I cannot wait to see how you feel with this invitation to the Winter's Ball.
Yours sincerely,
J. Laurens

My heart exploded. Immediately, I got up and headed to where Jackie was waiting for me. He had his back faced away from me and my heart exploded. "Jackie!" I called to him over the soft breeze of wind. He turned around and smiled brightly. He opened his arms and I ran toward him, jumping into his arms as he spun me around.

"So, you agree?" He asked me, holding me close to him. My eyes travelled across the camp as I nodded. He kissed the top of my head and hugged me slightly tighter as to not hurt my unborn child. "Wonderful." I was extremely happy. I was going to the Winter's Ball with John Laurens!

Martha
Martha was getting ready for the Schuyler's Summer Ball when she heard a knock on her bedroom door. "Come in," Martha called, fixing her hair slightly. The door opened and she turned around to see her youngest daughter in the doorway, her face stained with tears. "Sweetie, what's wrong?" Martha asked, attempting to hug her. All Esperanza did was back away from the woman who was supposed to be her mother.

"You lied." She stated bluntly. Martha tilted her head slightly in confusion. "You lied that Lily would get better. You lied that the Lord would forgive her for any sins she had committed. You lied that we would always have each other's backs. You lied that Lily would always stay by my side. You lied that it would get better. You lied that it wouldn't hurt. You lied that I wouldn't get hurt!" She cried.

The woman attempted to comfort her but she continued sobbing. "Sweetie-" she cut Martha off with a glare that would make Hades, God of the Underworld, tremble.