Chapter One

I awake with a sigh. I smile and roll over to face Jacob, who slept silently beside me.

"Hey sleepy head," I said, brushing a few strands of hair from his forehead gently. His eyes fluttered open and his gaze met mine.

"Hey Anna," he said softly. I smiled at him as he pulled me down for a kiss.

He rolled over so he was on top of me, passionately kissing me.

A knock at the door interrupted us. Jacob got up to answer the door, only to find Liam standing in the doorway.

"Liam, what a surprise," Jacob said. I sat up and met Liam's eyes.

"Anna," Liam said in an empty tone.

"Hey Liam," I said uncomfortably. I could see the pain in his face.

It was the same pained expression he had when I let my wedding ring fall to the floor in my room.

"Will you give us a minute Jacob?" Liam said as he slid past him to me.

Jacob left, shutting the door behind him. Liam came to me and I sat up against the headboard.

He sat on the side of my bed next to me cautiously as if I would bolt for the door if he got too close to me.

"I can understand what you're going through Anna, now that you're a vampire, everything is heightened, even your emotions," Liam said.

"What about my powers?" I asked. Liam was silent.

"Anna, your powers are gone. Selene took them away, remember?" Liam asked, looking at me with concern.

"Well, how come I can still do this?" I asked before I flicked my wrist toward a lamp on a nearby table, making the bulb flicker and go out before I knocked it over with a wave of my hand not even having to touch the lamp.

I looked back to Liam who now wore a shocked expression.

"How?" he said in shock.

"I don't think Selene took my powers away Liam," I said slowly.

A muscle in his jaw twitched and his eyes glowed a dim red.

"Anna, you can't be a vampire and have powers at the same time, it isn't supposed to work like that!" Liam said angry and confused.

"Liam, I can't change this. I don't know why Selene didn't just erase my powers, she just didn't," I said, my voice rising a bit. Liam sighed.

"Look, I know this isn't your fault," Liam said quietly.

I thought he would go on, but he kept quiet. The door opened and Jacob walked in.

"Did you two get enough time?" he asked.

"Yeah, we did. I think I'll uh, go off for a bit to clear my head," Liam said and left my side, then he walked out without another word.

"Jacob I need to tell you something," I said quietly, looking down at my lap.

"What's that?" he asked approaching me.

"I still have my powers," I said getting straight to the point. Jacob stared at me, unsure what to say.

"H...how is that possible?" he asked looking at me.

"Selene didn't take them away," I answered. Jacob let out a low growl.

"Anna, having powers and being a vampire almost got you killed the last time, remember?" Jacob said raising his eyebrows.

"Jacob it was my choice if I wanted to keep my powers or not. Selene could see how hard it was for me to make that decision," I said looking up at him. Jacob didn't say anything and decided to change the subject.

"Come on, let's go do something for a while, I'm totally bored," he said extending a hand to me. I took it and stood up.

Jacob decided that we go for a walk since it was a pretty nice day out. I was worried about Liam even though many of my feelings levitated toward Jacob now. Jacob took my hand in his and smiled down at me sweetly.

"Let me guess, this is what you wanted when I was with Liam," I said walking over a dried up fall leaf.

"How'd you know?" Jacob said with a laugh.

"Obvious," I said teasingly and smiled up at him.

"Um, how are you dealing with The Darkling's death?" he asked cautiously.

"I'm doing ok with it. Most of the guilt has passed and I don't think of it anymore," I answered. Jacob nodded.

"That's good," he said.

"Jacob, you know, my life has been a rough one with you and Liam keeping secrets and then Anya and The Darkling. I have a feeling that something bad is bound to happen and somehow I also feel like Anya, Sebastian, and The Darkling are connected to us in a way. What if they are?" I asked beginning to worry.

"Anna...don't let that get to your head, it's not going to end well," Jacob advised.

"I know, I'm just worried that's all," I answered with a shrug. We walked for a few more hours before heading home around five o'clock after catching a quick bite to eat.

"Man, I've really gotten the hang of this," I said to Jacob, wiping my victims blood from the corners of my mouth.

"Yes, and it's been only a year and a half," he said amused.

"Jacob, do you think there are any hunters still lurking about just itching to get their hands on us?" I asked.

"Maybe. I did know a hunter back in my early vampire days. His name was Marcus Callihan, he was one of the seven hunters," Jacob explained.

"Seven hunters? What are they special or something?" I asked.

"Special... you could say that. Each one of them bears a mark on their arm, that shows us and other supernatural creatures what they are," he said.

"Hm... are they, perhaps, dangerous?" I asked, pursing my lips.

"Very dangerous, but Marcus told me that he was pretty new with the hunter thing and all," Jacob said.

"Do you think he's still out there?" I asked curiously.

"Possibly. I always hoped that I'd reunite with an old friend," he said almost dream-like.

"But what if Marcus isn't the old Marcus that you used to know?" I said with worry. Jacob never met my eye after I said that.

"We have other matters to attend to. Let's go," he said and with that, we left.