Chapter Two

We got back a few minutes later, neither of us talking since the subject of Jacob's past. 

    “Liam? You home?” Jacob called out. No answer. 

    “He’s probably still upset,” I said numbly, going to sit on the couch. Jacob pulled out his phone. 

    “I’m calling him,” he said and dialed Liam’s number. It rang once before going to voicemail and Jacob hung up with a sigh. 

    “This isn’t like him to do this. What was the last thing you did to him?” Jacob asked, swiveling to me. I sat quietly looking down at my finger that should’ve wore my wedding ring, but it was bare now. 

    “I...I dropped my wedding ring on the floor. I just took it off and… dropped it on the floor between us and walked out of the room,” I answered, getting a few flashbacks from the moment. 

    “You...you ruined...Anna...you broke the bond?” Jacob asked in disbelief. I nodded not meeting his eyes. “Anna, you ruined Liam...do you know what this means?” he asked through clenched teeth. Liam was possibly a ripper now, killing to get rid of the guilt and pain that he was feeling. “He flipped his switch he...Anna!” Jacob roared making me jump. “Liam is out there probably killing innocent people all because of you!” he bellowed pointing an accusing finger at me. Tears welled in my eyes. 

    “I...I’m sorry,” I whispered. Jacob paced in the kitchen before he stomped out to the living room, his face hard and angry. 

        He shoved me up against the couch cushions and his lips met mine. The kiss was angry, hungry and passionate. My hands wrapped in his hair and wrapped around his neck. He pulled away enough to look me in the face. 

“Sorry, that...that felt wrong,” Jacob said quietly. I brought my gaze down from his and bit on my lower lip softly. Jacob got off of me and stood up. “I’m going to uh...go look for Liam. I don’t want him hurting anyone else,” he mumbled and walked away leaving me alone on the couch. 

          “This is all my fault,” I said to myself, feeling guilt crawl through me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and cried. 
Later, when my tears were done I looked at the clock on the wall. It read 
2:30 a.m. I groaned and layed down on my back on the couch. 

           Jacob had left last night at 7 p.m. and had nearly been gone seven and a half hours. I pulled out my phone and texted a few of my friends starting with Kayleigh first. 

    “Hey,” was the first thing I typed and sent it. A few minutes later she replied. 

    “Hey what’s up?” was what I read. 

    “Aw nothing much, you?” I sent it. She replied quickly. 

    “Senior year is great! But we all miss you, did you move?” I sat staring at the message. Moved? I had never moved nor had I told my friends where I was. I mean I’ve been gone for a while, but I never moved. The answer floated in front of my eyes. Compulsion.

    My grip on my phone tightened. Kayleigh and my friends had been compelled, by who? I didn’t know. Liam and Jacob would have some serious explaining to do when they got back.

       I replied, “Um yeah, I had to move for some reason,” and sent it.

         Kayleigh then said, “Oh, well I’ll call you sometime,” and that was the last I heard from her.

         I turned off my phone and closed my eyes and tried to clear my head of a very painful migraine. My phone buzzed in my hand and I opened my eyes and saw that Jacob was calling. I picked up. 

    “Hey, have you found Liam yet?” I asked. 

    “Not yet. You really must’ve set him off,” Jacob grumbled. 

    “I could come help you if you-” I said when he cut me off. 

    “No! You stay in the house and whatever you do, do not invite anyone inside,” Jacob ordered. 

    “Ok, not much is happening here, I’m just here by myself waiting for you and Liam-” I said stopping as a knock at the door sounded at the door. “Jacob? Did you just knock on the door?” I asked nervously. 

    “No. I’m like an hour away from you. How could I possibly-” he was cut off as I hung up on him. I watched the door and the knock came again, louder this time, almost demanding.

      I felt as if my body wasn’t in control as I got up from the couch and went toward the door wearily. I looked through the glass so I could see the person, but they couldn’t see me.

        The person was tall, with brown hair, tan skin, a very sharp chiseled jawline, blue eyes and wearing a black leather jacket. He had a lot of the same things as Liam, but this person wasn’t Liam. I came up with a plan and gathered my courage and opened the door. 

    “Hi, can I hel-” I stopped as I faced the person. I gulped. “Help you today” I said, finishing my sentence. The guy smiled. 

    “Hello lass, are your parents home?” he asked with an accent that I assumed was british.

    “Um, my parents aren’t here, but I have some friends that are coming back soon,” I answered. The man's eyes traveled over me taking in every inch of me.

    “You look gorgeous, what’s your name?” he asked me. I knew that I shouldn’t tell him, a stranger, my name.

    “Anna,” I said without thinking and wished I could take it back the instant it left my mouth.

    “Ah, good name too, it suits you,” he said. 

    “What’s yours?” I asked. 

    “Marcus Callihan,” he said, leaning against the doorframe. My heart stopped. 

    My eyes widened and in a flash I slammed the door in his face and locked it. I scrambled for my phone near the couch and called Jacob back. He thankfully picked up. 

    “Hey Anna, if you’re going to call every ten minutes, tell-” I cut him off. 

    “Jacob, Marcus is here!” I shouted into the phone, panicked. 

    “What?!” Jacob exclaimed. I was about to answer, when the front doors window shattered, spraying the area with shards of glass. I screamed and flung myself behind the couch for cover. “Anna?! Anna what’s going on?” Jacob asked alarmed. 

    “Jacob just hurry please” I begged and hung up. 

    “Anna,” taunted Marcus’s voice from outside, his voice smooth and elegant almost making me feel sick. 

    “Why are you here?” I called to him from behind the couch. 

    “I want to have some fun, come on love, I don’t bite,” Marcus said. 

    “If you’re here for Jacob, he isn’t here,” I said. 

    “Oh, Jacob is your friend now too? What about his brother Liam? I heard that you broke up with him as word goes around,” Marcus said nonchalantly. 

     Anger ripped through me. How dare he speak of Liam like that! I came up from behind the couch and stormed over to Marcus. 

    “Leave Liam out of this!” I hissed. 

    “What are you going to do about it love? You know you’d have to be a very smart vampire to outsmart one of the seven hunters like me,” he said, opening one of the sides of his jacket. My eyes lay upon a full set of stakes calling my name.