Chapter Thirty-Two

I stood starng at him then at his bloody heart. I let it fall from my hands before staggering away from the tree. I stepped back into the clearing and found Liam standing over Liam's body. I hurried over and fell into Liam's arms.

"You're ok," I sobbed, clinging to him. I pulled away to look at Jacob's body, kneeling beside it. "T...this never should've happened. This is all my fault," I said burying my face in my hands. I felt Liam's hands come around me as he lifted the feathered mask from my face.

"This isn't your fault. None of us really knew where Jacob was, there was nothing we could've done, Anna," Liam said softly as he brushed my tears away with his thumb. Suddenly, the sound of wings were heard as Erebus landed not too far from us. We looked up to see him hurrying over and stopping.

"Are you guys ok?" he asked.

"We're fine," Liam answered.

"Can she bring him back?" Erebus asked. Before Liam could say anything, I answered for him.

"No, Kristillier went too far and made sure I couldn't bring him back. There's nothing I can do," I said staring at Jacob's lifeless body.

"But, you were able to bring Liam back, why not Jacob?" Erebus asked.

"Because Liam still had his heart! Jacob doesn't. Without it, my light is useless," I said softly. Liam helped me to my feet and turned me away. "I had a choice. I could've saved Jacob's life by risking my own, but I couldn't, because if I had, Liam would've been dead and Jacob too. If I was dead and Kristillier was still alive, he would've overthrown everything and the world would be in darkness. I made my choice and now I have to love with it," I said, sniffling.

Both men looked at me as I gazed around at the dead bodies scattering the ground.

"We made it out alive and that's all I care about for right now," I said stepping away from them.

"What should we do with his body?" Erebus asked.

"We bury him. I want a proper burial," I said. Both Liam and Erebus nodded and we all began to work. We brought Jacob's body back him and found a little spot in the back. I let Liam and Erebus do the digging, while I searched for flowers to place on the grave. After an hour, we all stood around the grave just staring.

"Anyone have any words they want to say?" Liam asked. I didn't want to come forward, but this feeling in my gut sent me forward.

"I do," I said, my hold tightening slightly on the stems of the flowers. I stepped upto the grave and took a deep breath. "Hey Jacob. This...this is never something I thought I'd have to do. I was planning a happy future for all of us. To finally be free of all evil that flocked us, but ut turns out, those dreams are not longer possible," I said stopping. "I...I remember...the first time we met. How afraid I was of you. I never thought I'd take a liking to you, but turns out, I can't imagine my life without you now that you're gone," I said, my eyes beginning to water. I sniffled. "I just wish that...that there was something I could've done to stop Kristillier. If I'd done something, I probably wouldn't be here right now, but you would. I remember how cocky you could be just to push my buttons and I'm honestly, really going to miss that. Everyday, there won't be a time when I'm not thinking of you, because I always will. My choices are just something I'm going to have to live with and the consequences that have come of them. Saying goodbye is painful, because I know I'll never get to say hello ever again to you," I tried to swallow back the flood of tears as some spilled down my cheeks. "Goodbyes really hurt, but memories hurt more. I...I miss you Jacob!" I sobbed as my trembling hand placed the collected flowers on Jacob's grave.

 I stood up as Liam's arms wrapped around me and my head rested against his chest. All three of us gazed at his grave as the rays of the morning sun shone on us once more, signifying the start of a new day. No war and no Kristillier. Finally just peace, once more.