21. Put on the Suit

Bruce waved a small device over Loki's scepter. "The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports of the tesseract. But it's gonna take weeks to process." As she walked through the door, Everly took in the lab around her. She still couldn't understand how anyone knew how to work all of this technology.

"If we bypass their mainframe and direct route to the Homer cluster we can clock this at around 600 teraflops." Tony was working away on a screen, doing things she couldn't even begin to comprehend.

"All I packed was a toothbrush." Banner scoffed.

"You know," Tony pointed. "You should come by Stark tower sometime. Top ten floors, all R&D. You'd love it, it's candy land." He snatched a small device from a table as he made his way over to Bruce. Everly stepped father into the room and leaned against a counter, listening to the pair of science nerds.

"Thanks, but the last time I was in New York, I kind of broke Harlem."

"Well, I promise a stress-free environment." Tony played with the tool in his hands. "No tension, no surprises." He quickly jabbed the device into Bruce's side and it shocked him.

"Ow!"

"Hey!" Everly whipped around to see Steve hurry into the room, clearly unenthused with Tony's antics.

"Nothing?" Tony mumbled, obviously he didn't get the reaction he was looking for.

"Are you nuts?" Steve scolded, walking farther into the room. Everly moved to stand beside him as she watched the exchange.

"Jury's out." She shrugged.

"You really have got a lid on it haven't you?" Tony asked Bruce in disbelief. He seemed upset that he wouldn't get to see the beast in action. "What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?"

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve was quickly growing tired of Tony's childish behavior.

"Funny things are." Stark pointed the small tool at Steve and raised his eyebrows. Everly let out a small laugh but immediately cleared her throat when she received a glare from her best friend.

"See, she gets it."

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny." Steve's eyes flickered to where Banner was watching quietly. "No offense Doc."

"It's alright, I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things."

"You're tip-toeing big man. You need to strut."

"And you need to focus on the problem Mr. Stark." Steve shot back. Everly wished at that moment that she could disappear. She hated being caught in the middle of an argument, no matter its participants.

"Do you think I'm not?" Tony approached a small metal table and scooped up a bag of blueberries hidden amongst its contents. "Why did Fury call us in? Why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us?" His demeanor had suddenly changed to a serious one, catching Everly off guard. It did make her think though, why hadn't Fury called in help before things got so out of hand? There had to be something more he was hiding. There was more to all of this than what meets the eye. "I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"You think Fury's hiding something?" Everly's eyes flicked to Steve and could practically see the gears turning in his head. It was obvious he didn't want to believe it, but it made sense, even he couldn't deny that.

"He's a spy. Captain, he's 'the' spy. His secrets have secrets." Tony said, popping a blueberry into his mouth. "I mean even ask your pal over there." All eyes landed on Everly and she froze, not knowing what to say. She didn't know what to think at this point. Steve was the last to look in her direction, though his gaze lingered the longest.