45. I Knew Him

^ The "theme song" of this chapter. Sorry not sorry.^

The gag was yanked from Everly's mouth as a barred door slammed shut behind her. She fought with what little of her strength remained to free herself from the metal cuffs that dug into her wrists. She was shoved into a room with guards positioned in each corner. Electrical cords ran along the floor, leading up to the monitors that sat beside a horrifyingly familiar contraption in the center of the dimly lit room. The Winter Soldier sat in the seat, his gaze momentarily flickering to her.

"Bucky." She said softly, as if testing the name on her tongue. She couldn't believe he was alive after all this time. One of the guards brought a knee up to her gut and she doubled over in pain. Bucky frowned and peered down at his hands as he scrunched up his face in confusion. She watched as something changed in his eyes. He threw his metal arm out to the side, tossing a doctor across the room. The others rushed away and the guards trained their guns on him. His bare chest heaved as he curled his fingers into tight fists. Everly looked over to see Pierce and Rumlow enter the room.

"Sir, he's unstable. Erratic." Someone stuttered. Pierce ignored the warnings and walked straight up to the Winter Soldier, only sparing a glance in Everly's direction. Anger bubbled up inside of her at the sight of the two men who were supposed to be on their side. Pierce folded his glasses, neatly tucking them away in the pocket of his suit.

"Mission report." The Winter Soldier stared straight ahead of him, his gray eyes meeting Everly's panic filled ones. A bone-chilling silence consumed the room. "Mission report now." Pierce ordered again. He stepped forward and leaned in closer before back handing Bucky across the face.

"Don't touch him." Everly hissed, trying to lunge forward, only for someone to kick the back of her leg, forcing her to her knees.

"The man on the bridge." The soldier turned his head back slowly to look at Pierce, his face plastered with confusion. Everly's heart lept to her throat as her focus snapped back up to her friend. "Who was he?"

"You met him earlier this week on another assignment." Pierce explained.

"I knew him." Bucky said quietly.

"He's your friend." Everly growled as her face was met with a fist, sending black spots dancing around the corners of her vision as the room seemed to spin. Pierce sighed and pulled up a chair, seating himself in front of his soldier.

"Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century. And I need you to do it one more time. Society's at a tipping point between order and chaos. And tomorrow morning, we're going to give it a push. But, if you don't do your part, I can't do mine. And HYDRA can't give the world the freedom it deserves." His tone was eerily calm and convincing.

"Don't listen to him." Everly mumbled, her speech slurred. Bucky glanced at the beaten woman across the room and back to Pierce.

"But I knew him." He smiled sadly. Alexander Pierce let out a deep breath and nodded lightly before standing from his seat and making his way over to Everly. Her head rolled back and she glared up at him from where she knelt on the ground.

"You may want to start cooperating." He threatened before starting towards the door. "Prep him." He threw over his shoulder.

"He's been out of cryo freeze too long." One of the doctors protested.

"Then wipe him and start over." Pierce deadpanned.

"No." Everly stuttered as she fought to her feet. The pair of guards yanked her backward when she pulled against their hold. "Leave him alone." She pleaded as the doctors leaned him back against the chair and slipped a rubber guard into his mouth. He tipped his head back and curled his hands into fists as his arms were locked into place. The machine whirred to life and a section clamped over his head. Everly watched in horror as he cried out in pain, his entire body going rigid. Bucky's pain-filled screams bounced around the walls of the small room, ringing in her ears. She squeezed her eyes shut and turned her head away. One of the guards scoffed and forced her to watch.