10. Stowaway

Steve landed expertly, and quickly detached his parachute. As he began to hurry away he heard a loud thud behind him followed by a soft 'ow.' He turned around to see an identical parachute sprawled over the ground, something beneath it moving. He furrowed his eyebrows and pushed the fabric aside to see Everly fumbling to untangle herself from its straps. 

"Oh hey, Stevie." She smiled up at him awkwardly, knowing he would be furious. His eyes grew wide and instantly began scanning the area. He dragged her to her feet and unbuckled the parachute from around her chest. 

"What are you doing here?!" He hissed, trying his hardest to stay quiet. "You're going to get yourself killed!"

"Probably," She whispered. "But I wasn't going to let you go in there alone." He looked around and tapped his foot impatiently, as if looking for a place to hide her. 

"Okay, stay with me. Got it?" He stared into her eyes, Everly had never seen him so serious about something. She nodded in agreement and fell in line behind him as they snuck through the woods. The towering trees swayed lightly in the wind, producing the soft sound of shuddering leaves. Other than that, it was dead silent. Steve stopped, holding an arm out for her to do the same just before a road leading into the facility.  Four men were stationed in two separate watch towers shining spotlights at the ground below. Guards were also positioned outside the gate. There was no way they would be able to sneak through unseen. It began to sink in now just how horrible of an idea this was on her part. 

The whirring of engines grew louder as they neared the gates. Everly and Steve both sunk down out of sight. A motorcycle whizzed by, followed by two trucks. Steve motioned to a third and final truck before chasing it down and jumping in. She jumped up from her spot and rushed over to the truck as he had. When she latched onto the tailgate, it took all of her strength to drag herself over the back of the truck. Finally, she landed inside with a soft thud and let out a deep breath.

"Holy crap that was-" She froze at the sight of two men. 

"Fellas," Steve managed. The soldiers lunged at the unwelcome hitchhikers. While Steve was occupied with one, the other leapt at Everly. She let out a small squeal and scooted backwards, slamming a foot into his face. He dropped the handgun he had been reaching for and she pushed it behind her, driving a fist into his face once he sat up again. He fell to his back and Steve tossed him from the truck as he'd done with the agent that went after him.

"Shit, shit, shit." Everly mumbled, shaking her out fist as she winced in pain. Of all the punches she'd received in her lifetime, she would never have imagined it hurt this bad for the person dealing them. Steve looked to her with raised eyebrows as she tucked the handgun in her waistband. 

"I'm good. Don't even worry about it." She waved him off sarcastically as he struggled to hold back a grin. Really though, he was just surprised that she hadn't been the one thrown from the truck. They sat in the back waiting, listening to the crunching of gravel beneath the tires until finally it rolled to a stop. Steve held a finger to his lips and pulled Everly close to fit behind his shield. She wondered if he could hear the rapid beating of her heart in her chest.

 As the drape of the truck was pushed aside by a Hydra soldier, Steve rammed the shield into his face with all his strength sending him flying through the door of the loading bay. Steve dropped from the truck, helping Everly to do the same. She dusted off her pants and her eyes landed on the man laying motionless on the ground. Steve began running away, but stopped when he realized she wasn't following. 

"Eve." He whispered harshly, latching onto her wrist. "I said stay with me."

The pair weaved their way between tanks and trucks, trying to avoid the spotlights that scoured the ground. Finally, they reached a tank parked up beside a building. Climbing the tank, he was able to reach the roof. Everly rolled her eyes in annoyance of how easily he climbed to the top. She mentally scolded herself for ever jumping from that stupid plane. Finding a sturdy enough place for her hands and feet, she began to scale the tank. Steve watched with the smallest of grins with his arm outstretched, wiggling his fingers impatiently. Upon finally reaching the top, Everly let out a huff as he latched onto her arm again, ensuring that she followed close behind him.