22. There Was An Idea...

Everly poked her head over the ledge to see Bruce and Natasha lying at the bottom of a hole blown through the floor. She swung her legs over the side, ready to slide down and help when a hand latched onto her arm, dragging her from the room. Peeking up from the floor as she ran, she noticed Steve and Tony racing alongside her. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents rushed about as they struggled to regain control of the situation.

"I'm on it." Tony said out of nowhere, earning an odd look from Everly. He slowed a bit and dove a hand into his pocket to retrieve a small device. He tossed it to her as they ran, and she barely caught it in her fumbling hands. She looked down at the device, confusion plastered over her face.

"Put it in your ear." He explained as the trio weaved through the people who rushed all around the jet.

"Engine three. I'll meet you there." Tony ordered as he started in a different direction. Steve and Everly continued on. She flinched, her eyes growing wide as a roar rattled the walls. Her worried eyes met Steve's, and it was clear that he was trying to hide any concern that may have crept onto his face. Finally, they reached a metal door that shook as somebody pounded against it from the opposite side. Steve pried it open to see three agents standing before them, two of which held up an injured third. One of them uttered a thank you as they hurried by. Steve and Everly stepped through the door a ways, but were forced to stop when met with nothing but open sky. A hole had been blown in the jet, reducing the area to a pile of rubble. 

"Stark!" Steve yelled. Everly's eyes scanned the sky, looking for any sign of Tony. The harsh wind whipped through her brown hair, tossing a few strands in her face. "Stark, we're here!" He tried again.

"Good." Everly furrowed her eyebrows and looked around, confused as to where Tony's voice had come from. She smirked and brought her fingers up to the small device tucked in her ear. The wonders of technology.

"Let's see what we've got." The familiar red and gold suit flew past, stopping just before them. "I got to get this superconducting coolant system back online before I can access the rotors, work on dislodging the debris." Tony mumbled. Everly's face scrunched up, not having understood any of what was said. He pointed a finger past the pair.

"I need you to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position." He ordered. Her gaze flicked between their destination and Steve as he jumped into the air, grabbing ahold of a metal bar. Her heart skipped a beat when he swung across the expanse of air to where he was instructed. Everly's eyes widened as she watched.

"Holy crap." She uttered under her breath. 

"What does it look like in there?" Tony's voice again came through her earpiece.

"It seems to run on some form of electricity." Steve answered. Everly huffed and ran a hand down her face.

"Well, you're not wrong." 

Her eyes scanned her surroundings, looking for a way up to Steve. She bounced on her toes a few times, convincing herself to go through with it before she jumped, grabbing onto the busted platform above her and hauling herself over the edge. After standing to her feet, she leapt forward, grabbing the bar Steve had swung from. She kicked a few times, gaining enough momentum before jumping to the platform on which he stood. Her legs dangled freely in the air as she began to claw her way up. Steve turned around to see his friend hanging over the side, a look of concentration on her face. He reached out a hand, dragging her the rest of the way up.

"I had it." She panted, resting her hands on her knees.

"I know you did." Everly let out a deep breath, her attention falling to the glowing-orange panel in front of them. She cocked her head to the side and scratched her head.