5. Only a Chance

Everly watched silently from across the table as her father shoveled some mashed potatoes into his mouth, he seemed entirely invested in the plate before him. She nervously ran a hand through her hair and set her fork beside her own plate. Her leg bounced up and down rapidly and her heart pounded in her ears. Piper glanced at her oddly, recognizing that something was up. A few times Everly opened her mouth, but no words came out. Finally, she gathered all the courage she could muster and took a deep breath.

"So I was thinking about applying for nursing school." Her little sister's worried eyes met her own. Their father said nothing, but stabbed at the porkchop on his plate. His fork screeched against the glass plate, causing her to internally cringe.

"Yeah?" He finally uttered around bites of food.

"I figured it would be better than working at the diner for the rest of my life." Everly chuckled nervously, pushing the food around her plate. Hunger was the least of her worries, in fact, she felt like she was going to be sick. She didn't dare tell him the true reason she wanted to go. That she was desperate to escape that house. Piper glanced between her father and older sister waiting for something to happen.

"And where are you going to get the money for that?" He didn't even bother looking up from his plate as he lifted another bite into his mouth.

"I've been saving up." She began to grow excited as her dream started to take form "And I could pay you back when I get hired somewhere-" He nearly choked as he took a sip from his water. A frown settled on his face and he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

He remained silent for a moment. "And what makes you think I got that kind of money laying around?" Everly didn't even need to see her father to feel his glare upon her face. Piper sunk deeper into her chair as she silently watched the exchange with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry." Everly finished, grabbing her plate and scraping its contents into the garbage. She hurried to the sink and began to scrub it clean, the soapy bubbles sticking to her hands. She froze as her father's chair creaked.

"I don't care what you do." He stood from his seat and followed her into the kitchen. His breath brushed against her neck as he dropped his plate into the sink atop hers. "But you ain't gettin' any of my money." His retreating footsteps were enough to calm Everly as she exhaled deeply, tossing a hand towel over her shoulder. Piper made her way into the kitchen and began scrubbing her plate clean without saying a word to her older sister. She did however steal the occasional glance in her direction. It was obvious she had something to say, but didn't know how to ignite the conversation.

"Okay, what is it, pip squeak?" Everly sighed, leaning against the counter beside her sister. Piper offered a small smile upon hearing the nickname, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. She pushed a few strands of red hair from her face and huffed.

"You're leaving aren't you?" She said softly, scratching her nose.

"I would come back to visit." She tried to smile, wanting nothing more than for her sister to be happy. Despite their constant bickering, they loved one another more than anyone would ever know.

"Yeah." Piper looked down at the suds covering her hands and her green eyes began to well with tears. "I just don't want you to leave." She looked up at Everly, silently begging for her to stay. Living without her older sister was something she couldn't even begin to imagine. She had always been there.

"I would never leave you." Everly said quietly, wrapping her little pip squeak in a hug. She couldn't remember the last time they'd been nice to one another for this long. There was almost always something to argue about; whose turn was it to do the dishes, and I know you took it seemed to be the subject of many of their conversations. But she would savor the moment for as long as it was willing to last.