49. Revels

Everly let out a puff of air from her cheeks and stared out the expansive window as she rested her arms on the railing before her. The people and cars that sprinkled the distant ground resembled ants scurrying about every which way. The faint sound of music drifted through her ears assuring that Tony's party was now underway. Her fingers brushed the locket wrapped around her neck and the faintest of smiles tugged at the corners of her mouth. Her brown eyes fell back to the sky, watching as the world faded into darkness. A second reflection appeared in the window and she peeked over her shoulder to see Tony Stark drawing nearer, his hands buried deep in his pockets. 

"My god, you're not wearing that are you?" He asked, feigning disgust as his eyes raked over her. She frowned, peering down at her everyday attire then back up to her friend.

"Pardon?"

"Nope, not happening." He shook his head in disapproval. "Pepper's got a few dresses you can choose from." He added, hooking his arm around hers as he began to drag her away.

"I'm not one for parties." She hurried, glancing nervously at the lower levels where people were dancing and drinking their worries away. He mumbled something incoherent as they progressed down the empty hall. Everly's eyes raked the bare walls as they turned a corner. Tony ushered her into a room and quickly shut the door behind them. She groaned, finally pulling her arm from his. Her eyes immediately locked onto a conveniently placed dress draped over the bed, a pair of heels sitting beside it. She scoffed, folding her arms over her chest. "No."

"Humor me." He scooped up the red dress and heels, shoving them into her arms.

"Tony, no." She protested, trying politely to hand them back. He stepped away and sat down on the bed crossing his arms over his chest, a smug look on his face.

"I'll wait here." He beamed, nodding toward the bathroom door. Everly hesitated a moment, her eyes flicking from the dress to the billionaire before letting out a frustrated sigh.

"Fine, I'll try it on." She grumbled, shutting herself inside the bathroom. She instantly felt awkward when she slipped the dress on and stepped into the shoes. Her gaze landed on her exposed shoulder where a pink scar ran across the skin. The dress didn't quite reach her knees, leaving the scar on her thigh visible as well. She huffed and ran a hand through her hair as she pushed the door open. Tony quickly stood to his feet and took in the sight of his friend, a sly grin creeping across his face. 

"Perfect fit." He sang as he stepped up behind her. Tony softly rested a hand on the small of her back, guiding her toward a full-length mirror in the corner. His cold fingers against her bare skin caused her to flinch before her eyes widened in realization. She hurried over to the mirror and spun around to see that the back of the dress was open, showing the hardware climbing the length of her spine. Her cheeks flushed red and she wrapped herself in a hug.

"I can't wear this." She hurried. Tony's grin never faltered as he plucked the key from the bathroom door and slid it into his pocket. Her heart dropped as he stepped away from the locked door, behind which were the only clothes she had with her.

"Well then, I guess you'll be going in the nude." He beamed, wiggling his eyebrows as he slipped from the room. Everly hesitated a moment, staring at the spot he'd been standing in before spinning around, desperately trying the bathroom's handle. She threw her hands up in frustration and kicked the door, sending a sharp pain throbbing through her foot.

"Damnit." She hissed as she plopped down on the bed, burying her face in her palms. A shaky breath escaped her lips and she groaned, tossing her head back to stare up at the ceiling. She peered over at the bedroom door that had been left slightly ajar and sat up straighter. All she needed to do was find Tony, break his kneecaps, and get the key. How hard could it be? She assured herself that she would be in and out before anyone even noticed. The heels of her shoes clacked against the hard floor as she stood to her feet and blew a bit of hair from her face. The slightest bit of courage arose from deep inside and she soon found herself clicking down the hallway.