26. Sleep is for the Weak

Tony had so graciously offered Everly a room at his mansion in Malibu until she was able to get her life together. The billionaire definitely had his moments, though they were mostly annoying ones. Steve too offered for her to stay with him, but she didn't want to intrude. He lived in a single bedroom apartment, whereas Tony had an entire mansion. Not that it mattered all that much to her, it just made things easier. Besides, Steve had gotten time to cope with what had become of the world around him. Now it was Everly's turn. She needed the time and space to think, and Tony Stark provided. However, that didn't mean the star-spangled man was entirely absent from her mind. She often wondered if perhaps he thought of her as much she did him.

She laid in bed, unable to fall asleep. Horrible memories flashed through her mind and kept her from drifting off. She sighed and rolled over to see that the clock beside her read 1:14 a.m. With a groan, she tossed her head back into the pillow. Slowly, she sat up, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed. She yawned and rubbed her tired eyes before standing to her feet. She shuffled down the hallway to the kitchen, where she was planning on getting a glass of water. She stopped however when she heard Tony's voice downstairs in his workshop. She furrowed her eyebrows and started down.

"Forty-six." There was a small click followed by an 'ow'. 

"Forty-seven." Everly immediately recognized the British accent to be JARVIS, Tony's AI. The first time she heard him, she looked around everywhere thinking she was crazy. Tony thought it funny to let her carry on for a week thinking she was before finally deciding to tell her.

Her eyes explored the room, looking from the wall of metal suits, to the small Christmas tree tucked away in a corner.

"Sir, please may I request just a few hours to calibrate-" 

"No." Tony interrupted, shaking out his arm. He held the gun-like device to his wrist and yelled again at the click. "Forty-eight." He shook his arm out a final time and removed the piece of cloth between his teeth, using it to wipe away the drops of blood. Everly pushed off from the doorframe and walked deeper into the workshop. Tony looked up and his brown eyes met hers.

"Micro-repeater implanting sequence complete."

"As you wish sir. I've also repaired a safety briefing for you to entirely ignore."

 "Which I will." He set the cloth aside and sniffled. "Alright, let's do this."

"DUM-E." He sighed, looking to the robotic arm that was sweeping the floor. "Hi DUM-E." 

"How did you get that cap on your head? You earned it." Everly let out a small laugh and looked at the cone-shaped hat that sat atop DUM-E's head, the word 'DUNCE' written across it. 

"Hey, hey!" Tony stood to his feet and swung a few times at a punching bag as he walked by. 

"What are you doing out of the corner? You know what you did." He pointed a finger behind him. "Blood on my mat. Handle it." He sauntered over to Everly and rested his hands on his hips. 

"What can I do for you?" He deadpanned.

"Tony, you haven't slept in 3 days." She said groggily.

"Nor have you." He replied, turning and walking over to a robotic arm holding a video camera. She rolled her eyes.

"Focus up ladies." He cupped his hands together as he stood on a slightly elevated, circular platform.

"Good evening, and welcome to the birthing suite. I am pleased to announce the imminent arrival of your bouncing, bad-ass baby brother." He pointed to the robot holding the camera. "Start tight and then go wide. Stamp date and time."