44. The Winter Soldier

Everly knelt down on one knee and propped the rifle up on the raised ledge of the rooftop. She exhaled shakily and squinted one eye shut, peering through the scope with the other. Jasper Sitwell along with the Senator made their way down the staircase of the large building, guards surrounding them on all sides. The pair stopped and exchanged a few words before the Senator pulled Sitwell in for a hug and slipped into a car. She watched, waiting patiently for her queue. Once Jasper was alone, he frowned as he reached into his pocket to retrieve his phone and pressed it to his ear. He waved the guards away and Everly peeked at Sam, who sent her a small nod. She counted five seconds in her head before switching on the rifle's laser sights and placing it in the center of Sitwell's tie. She ducked her head down a bit farther when his eyes grew wide and flicked from the red light on his chest to the rooftops. Sitwell complied and it wasn't long before the door beside her came crashing down as he rolled across the rooftop. Steve followed quickly behind and Everly stood to her feet as he passed. 

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm." He ordered as Jasper dragged himself from the floor and slid his glasses back on.

"Never heard of it." He breathed, walking backwards as Steve and Nat grew closer.

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?"

"I was throwing up. I get seasick." Sitwell's feet caught the ledge of the rooftop and he began falling backwards just as Steve grabbed him by the front of his shirt and held the man in front of his face. Everly stepped up beside Nat and cocked a hip. Something in Jasper's expression changed, like he was no longer afraid. "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof?" He grinned. "Because it's really not your style Rogers." Steve paused a moment before he nodded, uncurling his fists from Sitwell's shirt and straightening his suit.

"You're right. It's not." He stepped aside. "It's hers." He deadpanned as Natasha threw a foot into the man's chest, sending him flying over the edge. His screams slowly faded as he fell. 

"Oh, wait. What about that girl from accounting, Laura... Lis-" Natasha snapped her fingers, trying to remember the name.

"Lillian." Steve finished, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. Everly fidgeted awkwardly as she waited for his response. "Lip piercing right?"

"Yeah, she's cute." Nat hummed.

"Yeah. I'm not ready for that." Everly muffled her laughter and jumped back when Sam flew up over their heads, a screaming Jasper in his grasp. He let the man fall to the rooftop and swiftly landed in front of them, the wings of his suit folding back up. Everly smiled like a giddy child. She couldn't get over the fact that Sam could fly. He was a certified badass, and had been holding out on them this whole time.

Steve and Natasha loomed over Sitwell who was still on his hands and knees. He held out one arm defensively. "Zola's algorithm is a program for choosing Insight's targets." Everly frowned. 

"What targets?" Steve blurted. 

"You!" Jaspers voice cracked as his chest heaved. "A TV anchor in Cairo, the Under Secretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA. Now, or in the future." Everly's frown only deepened as her eyes flicked up to Steve, whose brows were knitted together. 

"In the future? How could it know?" He asked. Jasper broke into laughter.

"How could it not?" Steve didn't so much as flinch as the man slowly climbed to his feet. "The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it." Everyone remained silent as Jasper glanced between them. "Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, emails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores!" He shouted. "Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."