77. One Shot

Everly watched curiously from where she stood in the doorway as Nebula adjusted Scott's red and white suit. Rhodey brushed past her into the room, Tony's distant music drifting through the air.

"Time travel suit, not bad." He hummed. Banner walked back over to Scott, a small cylinder perched between his fingers. A compartment flipped open on Lang's hip to welcome the device.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Scott protested, his mask opening once more. He glared up at Bruce as he tried to put the cylinder into place. "Easy, easy!"

"I'm being very careful." Banner said annoyedly.

"No, you're being very Hulky." He argued. Everly scoffed, shaking her head lightly as she folded her arms over her chest. Bruce took a single step back.

"I'm being careful."

Scott took the small tube from the green giant's hand, holding it up for them all to see. "These are Pym Particles, all right? And ever since Hank Pym got snapped out of existence, this is it. This is what we have. We're not making any more."

"Scott, calm down." Rhodey breathed.

"Sorry." He sighed, shifting awkwardly in place. "We've got enough for one round-trip each. That's it. No do-overs." Bruce rolled his eyes as he turned back to face the computer screen. "Plus two test runs." Scott finished with a nod before slipping the tube of particles into place. Everly's eyes widened when he immediately vanished, returning only a second later. "One test run." She groaned, running a hand through her hair. "All right." He added, sucking in a deep breath as he tried to hype himself up. "I'm not ready for this."

"I'm game." 

Everly turned to see that Clint had walked up beside her. She couldn't quite get over how different he looked since the last time she'd seen him. His hair was buzzed on the sides, leaving only the top to be swept off to the side. A dark sleeve of tattoos climbed the length of his left arm. Even his eyes seemed to have dimmed.

"I'll do it." He said simply. Everly blinked a few times as she glanced between he and Banner. Barton switched out with Scott and now wore the red and white suit, a golden A printed on the chest. Nebula once again adjusted a few things via the holographic screen before her as Bruce went over what he should expect.

"Clint, now you're gonna feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about that." Bruce explained. Everly anxiously tapped her fingers against her arm as she watched. 

"Wait a second." Rhodey interrupted, directing all attention to himself. "Let me ask you something. If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos? You know, and..." He spun his hands around one another a few times before drawing them apart as if pulling a rope tight. 

"First of all, that's horrible." Bruce objected as he held a hand out to him.

"It's Thanos." Everly shrugged. 

"And secondly, time doesn't work that way. Changing the past doesn't change the future."

"Look, we go back, we get the stones before Thanos gets them... Thanos doesn't have the stones." Scott interjected. Rhodey gestured to Lang in agreeance. "Problem solved."

"Bingo." Clint hummed.

"That's not how it works." Nebula finally spoke from where she stood at his side.

"Well, that's what I heard." He mumbled.

"Wait, but who? Who told you that?" Banner asked in disbelief.

"Star Trek," Rhodes began, holding up another finger with each movie title. "Terminator, Timecop, Time After Time."

"Quantum Leap." Scott blurted.