7. Pecs of Perfection

A group of young boys bounced around in the street causing the driver to honk when a baseball was hit straight towards the car. Steve looked up and recognized the city around him.

"I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley." He pointed to the alley that just so happened to be the first place he met Everly. He tried to imagine his life had he not met her, but couldn't. Since they met, she had always been right there alongside he and Bucky on their adventures. He hadn't even realized a smile had taken hold of his face. It soon faded however as they continued down the street.

"And that parking lot. And behind that diner." His gaze fell to his lap, deciding he'd said enough.

Peggy stole a glance in his direction before turning her attention to the road ahead. "Did you have something against running away?"

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back, can't say no forever right?"

"I know a little of what that's like." Steve was quick to look up at her as she began. "To have every door shut it your face."

"I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the army if you were a beautiful dame. Or a beautif- a woman. An Agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful but-" Steve stumbled over his words as she sent him a funny look.

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman do you?"

He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well, I mean- I kinda do. I think this is one of the longest conversations I've had with one." He smiled nervously.

"And what about Miss. Walker?" 

"That's where the kinda comes into play." He chuckled before his expression fell serious again. "Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

"You must've danced." Peggy said quietly as she looked over at the little man beside her.

"Well, asking a woman to dance always seemed so terrifying." His gaze remained fixed in his lap. "And the past few years it just didn't seem to matter that much. Figured I'd wait."

"For what?" She asked sweetly.

"The right partner." He answered, not even sparing a glance at the woman beside him before peering out the window. Peggy smiled and turned back to face the front of the car. They both hopped out of the car as it rolled to a stop in front of an antiques shop.

"This way."

Steve looked up at the sign above them, confusion plastered across his face. "What are we doing here?" He questioned as he slipped on his hat.

"Follow me." Peggy strode through the front door with Steve in tow, a bell jingling upon their arrival. An older woman hurried into the main store area through a door in the back.

She sent the pair a smile. "Wonderful weather we're having isn't it?"

"Yes, but I always carry an umbrella." Peggy cocked her head to the side and offered a smile. The stranger said nothing more, but walked over to the front desk where she pushed a button.

Peggy dragged Steve into a back room and stood before a bookshelf waiting. He eyed her suspiciously before his mouth fell open in awe as the shelves parted, a door opening in the wall. He stared down the hallway for a few seconds until Peggy finally stepped inside. As she lead him down the corridor, everyone they passed immediately froze in place to watch him. He felt uncomfortable beneath the eyes of so many strangers, but kept walking none the less.

The doors at the end of the hallway swung open to reveal a laboratory below. Surrounded by a circular panel of controls was a chamber, where he guessed he'd be laying. The team of scientists who had previously been scrambling about froze in place as they looked up at him in awe. Among them was Everly.