62. Butterflies

"Who were they?" Steve asked, his arms folded across his chest where he stood leaning back against the concrete wall.

"Their most elite death squad." Bucky answered as he fiddled with his fingers in his lap. He still sat on a box beside the machine where his arm had been pinned. "More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum." Everly groaned and dragged a hand down her face.

"They all turn out like you?" Sam questioned, still not feeling entirely comfortable with trusting the man before him.

"Worse." Bucky answered.

"The doctor, could he control them?" Steve added.

"Enough."

"Said he wanted to see an empire fall." Everly said, a confused frown plastered over her face. 

"With these guys, he could do it. They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize. They can take a whole country down in one night, you'd never see them coming." Steve huffed and perched his hands on his hips as Sam drew nearer. 

"This would have been a lot easier a week ago." Sam said quietly, peeking back at Bucky who hung his head as he rubbed his palms against one another. 

"If we call Tony-" Steve began.

"No, he won't believe us." Sam hurried.

"Even if he did-"

"Who knows if the Accords would let him help." Everly breathed as she ran a hand through her hair.

"We're on our own." Steve whispered, meeting her eyes. 

Sam shrugged. "Maybe not." Everly rose a questioning brow. "I know a guy." 

~~~

Everly leaned off to the side to peer around the headrest of the driver's seat before her. She groaned in annoyance and resituated herself. Of course Steve would've chosen the smallest car he could possibly find. She stared expectantly at the black car in front of where they were parked beneath a bridge. Sharon stepped out and made her way to the trunk. Everly glanced over at Bucky sitting beside her, his legs squished uncomfortably, an annoyed expression on his face. She listened carefully through the window that was cracked open in the slightest.

"Not sure you understand the concept of a getaway car." Sharon joked as she slowed to a stop. 

"It's low profile." Steve returned.

"Good." She popped open the shiny black trunk and Steve stepped forward. "Because this stuff tends to draw a crowd." Laying before him was his shield and neatly folded suit along with Sam's pack. 

"Can you move your seat up?" Bucky asked as Sam stared straight ahead. 

"No." Everly shook her head lightly, but couldn't help the smile that spread across her lips.

"I owe you again." Her attention was quickly redirected to Steve and Sharon, who still stood behind her car.

"Keeping a list." She grinned, her gaze falling to Bucky in the backseat. "You know, he kinda tried to kill me." Everly giggled as he scooted closer to her, the seat squeaking beneath his weight. There was something so refreshing about being around Bucky once again. Their Bucky. 

"Sorry. I'll put it on the list, too." Steve smiled. A silence settled between them and they both looked back to the gear in the trunk. "They're going to come looking for you." He added.

"I know." She replied, meeting his eyes.

"Thank you, Sharon." He said as her eyes flickered from his own to his lips. He hesitated a moment before clearing his throat and reaching for his shield. Some unreadable emotion flashed across her face and she sent him a smile before helping him unload the gear. She climbed into the shiny black car and looked back only once before driving off.