83. It's Been a Long, Long Time

Everly swished the liquid in her glass as she leaned her back against the bar. She tapped her fingers anxiously against the glass while her eyes curiously wandered the bustling club.

"You sure this guy's coming?" The bartender appeared behind her, sliding another drink across the counter. She looked down at her shoes and shook her head lightly, pushing a puff of air from her cheeks. She knew he wouldn't be there and felt ridiculous for having shown up at all. But some part of her expected to see him walk through those doors at any given second. She sighed and took a swig of her drink.

Everly peered up from her glass at the sound of the bell ringing above the door. She froze in place and her heart stopped when she saw him standing there. He seemed different somehow, but it was him all right. His hair was longer and swept straight back, his shoulders weighted with tremendous loss.

Steve's eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open at the sight of Everly standing across the noisy bar. There she was, untouched by the cruel hands of time. He never truly realized just how much she'd changed over the years. There was a youthful innocence in her sparkling eyes and her brown hair was trimmed a bit shorter than he last remembered.

She quickly set her glass down on the bar and blinked a few times as if to ensure what she was seeing was real. Her fingers instinctively found themselves wound around the locket hanging from her neck.

"Steve?" She finally managed. His mind raced at the sound of her voice. He rushed forward and wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, lifting her off the ground as he spun her around. She squeezed back, melting into the comfort of his arms as a tear rolled down her cheek. "You're alive." She whispered in disbelief, her warm breath tickling his neck. He nodded and she buried her face in his shoulder. "How are you alive?"

He held her for a bit longer, petrified of letting go before he finally lowered her back to the floor and stepped out of the embrace, finding himself lost in her eyes. He smiled, taking her face in his hands before catching her lips in a kiss. Her heart fluttered and she slipped a hand behind his head before pushing softly against his chest. She pulled away, though their faces remained inches apart.

"What are you doing?" She hurried, her brow furrowed in confusion as her eyes flicked between his. The grin never faded from his face as he gently tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Something I should have done a long time ago." He breathed, pulling her in once more. She was taken aback by the sudden notion but smiled against his lips while trying to suppress the giggle that arose in her chest.

~~~

Steve froze in the doorway of his apartment and Everly peeked over his shoulder in confusion. He stood there, simply taking it in before flicking on the light. A grin fell over his face and he drew in a deep breath before slowly stepping inside. Everly frowned as she softly shut the door behind her and shrugged the jacket from her shoulders, hanging it on the wooden coat rack at her side.

"Are you sure you're okay, Steve?" She asked hesitantly, watching as he looked around the apartment with an unreadable expression. "I mean, what happened? Shouldn't we tell the Colonel you're okay? Or- or Peggy? She's probably worried sick." Everly hurried. Steve quickly spun around and met her eyes.

"No." He blurted. Her face scrunched up in confusion and she sent him an odd look as he dropped the needle to the record player in the corner.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Come here." A smile took hold of his face when the music drifted through the air. He held out a welcoming hand for the woman across the room.

"Steve." She groaned.

"Come on." He chuckled, never taking his eyes off of her. "You owe me a dance."

She rolled her eyes, though a smile slipped over her mouth. She stepped forward, heart skipping when she took his hand and he pulled her close.

"I thought you couldn't dance." She laughed softly as they began to sway back and forth to the soothing rhythm of the music.

"I'm learning as I go." He returned, a breath escaping his lips when her head fell against his chest.

Her hand slipped behind his back and her eyes fluttered shut as she tuned into the steady beating of his heart. She still wasn't entirely convinced he was there, holding her tight in the warmth of his arms. He moved in the slightest and she looked up to see him gazing down at her in wonder.

"What?" She giggled. He shook his head and grinned, hesitating before slowly leaning in for another kiss.

~~~

~ONE YEAR LATER~

Steve perched his head up with one hand and softly dragged the opposite fingers down Everly's spine, still getting used to the absence of a metal column. She shivered at his touch and stirred beneath the sheets, rolling over to face him as her tired eyes flicked open.

"Why are you up?" She mumbled, trying not to smirk when a smile fell over his face. His head dropped to the pillow once more and he sighed, draping an arm over her waist.

"I love you, Everly." He breathed. She blinked a few times in surprise. Never did she realize just how much those three simple words could mean coming from the right person. For a few seconds, she couldn't manage to form any words in her half asleep mind, feeling as though she was drowning in silence. Everly planted a kiss on his cheek and turned back over, smiling when he pulled her close.

"I love you, Steve." She whispered.

~~~

~TWO YEARS LATER~

Everly giggled as she leaned out the window, the breeze blowing through her hair. Steve smiled from the driver's seat at the pure joy etched across her features, the backdrop of blue ocean passing behind her. She sat back into her seat and huffed, tipping her head against the headrest, her long hair crazily wind blown. He chuckled in amusement and slowly pulled over to park alongside the road. Her eyes lit up and she quickly turned to face him.

"We're stopping?" She beamed.

"Well, yeah." He laughed.

Everly clicked open her seatbelt and slipped out of the car, hurrying down to the water's edge. She kicked off her sandals and stepped in, a chill running up her spine as the small waves crashed over her ankles. She stared into the sunset in awe of the clashing purples and oranges. Steve stepped up beside her and buried his hands in his pockets, smiling down at the sand beneath their feet.

"It's beautiful." She smiled, nudging him lightly with her shoulder. They watched, suspended in silence as the sun continued its slow descent beyond the distant horizon.

"Eve." She turned to look at him and he reached out to intertwine their fingers. "I feel like I've lived an entire lifetime without you." She frowned when he sunk to one knee. Her eyes instantly widened in realization and both of her hands moved to cover her mouth as it fell open in disbelief. "I've been holding onto this for a while now, but I don't want to go another day without you by my side." A tear rolled down her cheek when he retrieved a small black box from his pocket, flipping it open to reveal a sparkling ring within. He let out a nervous breath, trying to build up the courage for the next four words. "Will you marry me?"

She muffled a sob and nodded. "Of course I will." She hurried, a few more tears falling as he stood to his feet again, carefully slipping the ring onto her finger. Everly looked up at his breathtaking smile and threw herself into his arms. He lifted her off the ground and buried his face in her shoulder, a sigh of relief escaping his lips.

A/N

A lot of updates back to back, but this one couldn't wait :)