The Race

Taraji's POV

"How've you been?" I asked taking a bite of my pizza. "Stable, how 'bout you?" "Good, I guess." "How's Carl?" "Good." "Does he know we are hanging out?" "No, why?" "Maybe I should go then." "Why?" "You guys are dating right?" "No, not anymore." "Oh." "It's fine."

It was silent for a minute and he was looking at the wall. "What?" I asked with a confused look on my face. "It's been that long." "I know right." "I'm sorry. I was a bad friend to you." "It's okay, I just figured life hit you." "More like reality." He whispered that part.

"What?" "I like you." "What?" "Well, liked and I knew you were with Carl so I just stopped hanging out with you and thought that it would make my feelings go away." "Did it?" "At first no, I just thought about you more but after a while yeah, then I saw you again and thought about you I didn't have any feelings I was just happy to see my friend again."

"Why didn't you tell me?" "You were with Carl." "Not over the summer." "Well it sure didn't seem that way and you were with that one kid he was always around you touching you and stuff and I saw you two kiss twice."

"Reece." "Yeah." "That was literally just a fling." "Well, it didn't just look like a fling." "Well, it was." I took another bite of my pizza and looked at him then away. "I'm sorry I said anything." I looked back at him then back at my pizza. "Don't be. I'm glad you told me." "It doesn't seem like it." "I'm sorry." "It's whatever."

I dropped my pizza on the plate and set it down dusting my hands off and looked at him. "You wanna go see a movie or go to the park, let's do something." "Uh.. sure I guess." "Great let me go get changed and we can go I'll only be a few minutes."

I went upstairs to my room and closed the door behind me quickly searching my draws to find something to put on.

Outfit above

I slipped on my shoes and went downstairs after putting on a hat. I grabbed the pizza box not seeing him and putting it in the kitchen. I went to the bathroom and knocked on the door. I opened it and saw it was empty. I walked out the door and saw Tanner standing there.

"Why'd you come out here?" "I thought we were gonna walk or take my car." "Let's walk." I grabbed his hand and swung it back and forth dramatically for a while when we were walking but eventually let it go and walked like a regular human.

"You still going to college?" He nodded. "It's hard though." *scoff* "Tell me about it." I looked at him and started smiling. "Wanna race the rest of the way to the swings." He looked at me and smiled. "I'm pretty fast." "Oh yeah." "Yeah." I stopped. "Twenty dollars says I'm faster." I held my hand out. "Okay."

He shook it and we got in ready position. "No cheating." I looked at him laughing then started to speak. "I don't cheat I just win." "Don't get to cocky now." "There is a difference between cocky and confident." "Whatever you say Wilson."

"Ready." "Set." "Go!" We started running and he was ahead of me then I caught up and we were neck and neck. I picked up speed and so did he. I saw the swings and dead sprinted to them. We touched them at the same time. "Fuck!"

We both were breathing heavily. "What now?" I looked up at him and started smiling as did he. "Again." "You read my mind." We walked back and started again only to be tied again. We did it three more times before finally giving up.

"I could totally go faster... I think... it was all... the pizza we ate." "Yeah same... probably.. most definitely the... pizza." We messed around at the park for a little bit before walking back to my house and that ended in a race that I won.

"Fuck yeah bitch, give me my twenty dollars." "Hell no, you said that was for the swings." "Oh fuck you." "I brought you a pizza." "And I thanked you for that but I still want twenty dollars." "Well, your not getting it from me, that was for the swings." "Whatever."

We went inside and just sat around talking and eating more food. "You wanna play a board game." "Why not, we probably were gonna play one even if I didn't want to am I right." "You are my good sir." I walked over to the cabinet we had filled with games and looked through it deciding which one I wanted to play. "Which one do you wanna play?" "Uh.. you pick." He was looking at his phone.

"How 'bout we play a card game instead?" "Yeah, sure its whatever." "Okay." I grabbed the pack of playing cards and walked back over to him after closing the cabinet.

"What are we playing?" He asked rubbing his hands together opening his eyes wide, and raising his eyebrows. "Speed?" "I'm a little rusty but sure." "It's okay I am too." I opened the cards and shuffled them a few times before setting them up and dealing them out then we started.

We were stacking cards on top of each other and bending some of them while arguing whose card was down first before I finally yelled speed. "You cheated!" "How?!" "Okay, whatever let's go again."

I set it up again and we started. The same process happened with this game and I ended up winning again while he had one card left.

We played a few more rounds of that then played rummy but didn't finish it because we got bored then ate some more before he left.

"I had fun today, thank you for that." "No problem, we gotta do this again and we need to find a date to fix our race because I'm getting my twenty dollars." "You mean giving me that twenty dollars." "Yeah, we'll see about that." "Yeah we will."

"Okay, well don't be a stranger okay." "I won't." "Promise." I held my pinky out. "I'm not pinky promising you." "That's the only way I know you aren't lying." He looked around before reaching his pinky out to mine. "I promise." I hugged him and he left.

(Authors Note)
What will happen next? Keep reading to find.
Hope you enjoyed.