57

"This is the place!" Kaminari pointed up at his house. "I know it's small as shit but it's better than nothing!"

He pulled on the black-haired boy's hand. "Come on, let's head inside."

"What if your parents hate me?"

"What? Why would they?"

"Why wouldn't they, Denki? I'm a freak!"

Kaminari frowned. "I'm going to act like you didn't just say that."

"Great."

Kaminari walked up to the front door, slamming it open. "Mom! I'm home!"

"Already? You said you would be gone longer!" a lady yelled from the other room.

"Stuff happened, so that was out of the question... But look who I have!" Kaminari kicked off his shoes.

The woman stepped into the room, wearing a coy smile. "Well, hello there."

"Hi, I'm assuming you're Mrs. Kaminari? Denki's mother?" Sero began reaching for a handshake, but quickly rescinded his hand.

"You're pretty good at guessing! Yes, I am, but, please, call me Mom."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Of course! Anyway, dinner's almost done, can you guys set the table?"

Kaminari looked over to Sero for reassurance. "Yes, we would love to."

They entered the dining-room and started the process of getting the table ready.

"Hey, Denki?" Sero straightened the tablecloth.

"What's up?"

"Sorry if this is a bit sensitive and you don't want to answer it, but where's your dad?"

Kaminari blinked a few times. "He's at work, Dude. I don't have a sad-ass backstory like you, Hanta."

"Damn, obviously."

"If you want to go back home, you can do that. I'm not keeping you here if you don't want to."

"No! I didn't say that! I fucking hate home!"

"Don't curse so loudly! My mom is legit in the other room!"

"Sorry..."

Kaminari laid out a few glass plates on the wooden table. "I get it, your home life wasn't exactly the best, but don't think you can just run away from it, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah..."

-

Kaminari's mom placed down a pot filled with kare raisu, a type of rice curry. "Okay, go ahead and dig in!"

Sero started shoving food into his face. He hasn't eaten a proper meal since his dad moved out; he's always eaten cheap ramen and take-out.

"Hanta, slow down a bit, would you? Save some for the rest of us!" Kaminari put some curry on his plate, laughing at the sight before him.

"Ah, sorry if I'm being rude, I just haven't eaten something so good in so long!"

"Oh stop it..." Kaminari's mom blushed at the sudden compliment.

"Considering the fact I've never eaten rice curry, I guess I would never know if this is actually good compared to others."

"Ouch, aren't you nice?" Kaminari took a sip of his water.

Sero looked back at the mother, who was now sighing. "I've never been the best at cooking for sure, but that was harsh."

"I didn't mean it like that! You're cooking is really tasty! I just - I don't know how to put it into words, really."