Chapter 20: Slip of The Tongue

Anna

"How does going to dinner sound? We can try out that new Italian place that opened up in town?"

"Hmm, it's a lovely thought, but don't you think it'll to absolutely crowded on Valentine's Day? I don't want to throw away your ideas, Chrom, but I also don't want to wait for two hours to get food."

"Right you are. Why don't we go a little further out?"

"That could work." I leaned forward on the table, my face resting in my hands. "What do you want to do?"

My boyfriend looked up from his laptop, an endearing smile on his face. "Whatever you want, my dear."

Gods, he sounds like a prince when he calls me that... Not that I'm complaining, though.

Valentine's Day was only a few days from now, and our plan was...well, nonexistent. It wasn't as if we didn't care or disregarded the holiday, but we were incredibly busy, so any planning we thought of doing was thrown out the window as soon as life slapped us in the face. We finally had a chance to talk about it now that we had time for each other (and by that, I meant working on an English project together).

I tapped my fingers on the hardwood table. "Maybe...hmmm..."

"Yeah?"

"What if we just stay in? We could make dinner ourselves and watch shitty romcoms on Netflix?" I suggested, playing with the sleeves of my blazer.

Chrom thought for a moment; then, he nodded. "That sounds like a perfect idea," he said, warming my heart. "Your place or mine?"

"Yours, most likely," I sighed. "Mom and Karina are going out - obviously - and they probably don't want us being home alone. She trusts us not to do anything, but still, she has to take percautions."

My boyfriend nodded. "Right. My parents are going out as well, but Lissa will be home." He chewed on his bottom lip. "She might be downstairs for dinner, but after that, she should leave us alone."

"Perfect." I smiled. "I'll get the supplies we need to cook sometime this week."

Chrom frowned at that. "I can take care of that, I'm not doing anything during the week," he countered. Damn my boyfriend for being so considerate. My schedule had recently become, to be blunt: Hell. I had a million appointments, dance lessons (which should hopefully lesson as soon as I got back into the swing of things), and I just recently decided to join a Chon'sinese speaking competition, so that's fun.

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. There's an indoor farmer's market right next to the building where we hold our practices."

"Ah, I see. Well, tell me what you want to get and I'll help pay for it."

"You're the best." As I finished my sentence, my phone dinged. I checked the text and saw it was from Mom. "Ah, shoot. I have to go."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Something wrong?"

"No, not at all." I got up, searching around for my coat. "I'm going to dinner with Mom and Karina tonight - and Gaius, of course - and they're here to pick me up."

Chrom hummed in understanding. "All right. I'll finish up the last few slides and call it a night, then."

I smiled, crossing over to him. "Thank you." I stood on my toes and kissed his cheek, and without even thinking, uttered: "I love you."

Did I seriously just say that?

Chrom stared at me, eyes wide and cheeks red. "Wh-what did you just say?"

Shit.

I swallowed, hard. "I-I...um..." Well, the bandaid has already been ripped off. I don't see why I shouldn't go with it. "I love you... I know our relationship is still young and saying it is weird, but it's the truth. Y-you don't have to say it back! I totally don't-"

"Well, damn, Anna; had you told me, I would've said it sooner." He grinned, stormy-grey eyes twinkling. "I love you, too. I always have and I always will."

We've said "I love you" multiple times in the past, but not since we started dating. Love was different, depending on the person and situation. The love we felt back then was platonic, but now, it was so, so much more.

I stared at him with doe-eyes. "Y-you do?" I was still getting over the fact that someone would date me, let alone love me.

"'Course I do." He hopped done from his chair and wrapped me in an embrace. "Did I not make that clear enough? I'm sorry if I didn't, I just didn't know if you were comfortable with it..."

I shook my head, gripping the fabric of his shirt. "N-no, it's not that..." No. Never mind. This is a conversation for another day. "Well, I love you, so there. No takesies backsies."

He chuckled. "Why would I ever want to give it back?" he asked, kissing my forehead. "Now, you should go. Don't want to keep your family waiting."

My family... Yes. Yes, they really are my family. "All right, thank you, Chrom." I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling his down for a kiss. He was happy to reciprocate.

We pulled away hesitantly, not wanting to leave each other's warmth. I smiled up at him. "I love you."

"I love you, too."