Chapter 17: New Years Eve

Christmas was such a special time for the Baker family however the Holiday cheer is slowly starting to dwindle down as New Years Eve is upon us.

Cash's POV:

" Tonight's the night" Cash said to himself as he stared out his bedroom window. Midnight was in just a few hours as Cash couldn't wait, 2020 would soon be here and boy was he excited for it.

"Tonight's the night for what?" Cash quickly turned around frightened, seeing his big brother standing in his doorway. "Oh it nothing, sorry I didn't realize I left my door open." Maverick gave his brother a confused look but he wasn't really in the mood to figure out what was going on,

"Alright weirdo, you coming downstairs to watch the ball drop on TV with us or are you just gonna stay up here in your room like a loser all night?" Maverick asked jokingly. "Yah I'll be down in a minute" Cash said.

Maverick closed Cash's door and headed downstairs, Cash then looking outside as strangely the darkness of the sky and the light of the moon seemed rather calming, "You got this Cash, you can do it."

Maverick POV:

Maverick walked into the family den where his parents, along with his sister and her husband Garrett were all already inside enjoying the New Years Eve special that played every year on tv. The family had set up snacks on a table against one of the walls of the room, along with soda's and a few bottles of liquor for the adults in the room, however Maverick was determined to get at least one sip tonight.

"Hey Mav," said Lani, who was currently poring herself a glass of wine. Lani had just recently turned 21 so she got to enjoy the the liquor that her parents had graciously put out, sadly Maverick would still have to wait a year before he could legally drink.

"Where's Cash, is he coming down to join us?" She asked. "I think so, I just saw him up in his room but he said he was on his way down," Maverick responded. "Say, do you think I could maybe have a taste of your wine?" Maverick asked

"Absolutely NOT. Lani said just loud enough for everyone in the room to hear, the siblings mother already knowing what her son was up too, "Maverick you know the rules of this house, your not allowed to have alcohol until your 21, and just because its New Years doesn't mean I'm going to loosen up on that rule Mr."

"Huh, Fine" Maverick said annoyed. He then went to sit on the couch and immediately pulled out his phone so to avoid any further interaction with everyone. Garrett looked over at Maverick and wanted to have a little fun and tease him,

"Ah don't feel bad squirt, remember your still just a baby, and babies can't have alcohol and you know it, but hey I bet your parents have some milk in the fridge if you'd rather have that." Garrett said chuckling. Maverick wasn't please with Garrett teasing, "oh Screw off Garrett, and don't call me squirt, I may only be 5'8" but last time I checked you're only 5'9".

Garrett wanted to knocked Maverick teeth in for bringing that up, because Maverick knew that Garrett had always been insecure about his height. "Why you little.."

Garrett began to lunge towards Maverick but Lani stepped in at just the right moment, "what do you two think your doing, its new years eve not Boxing day. Control yourselves." Garrett refined himself, Lani was still very upset with him after Cash told her what he'd said to him so she'd been keeping him in check the past few days.