HOUSEMATES (parts 1 - 2)

THIS SERIES MIGHT BE TRIGGERING BC OF THE FOLLOWING: BDSM, INTOXICATED SEX, etc.

Peridot needs help with the rent, Lapis wants so much more.

It's been one heck of a ride sharing a home with my best friend Amethyst for all these years on end. Eventually things change. With her new job being bought out by a conglomerate, she's left to roam the earth as a early retiree. Leaving me in dire need of a new housemate to share expenses.

The ad I posted online has been well received, but neither candidates I interviewed didn't seem like a good choice for me. With hope running at it lowest , there is still one girl I haven't seen yet.

Lapis Lazuli arrived in her own car on time. That's a good sign, a nice car meaning a nice job to maintain it. She looks my age, pretty, with blue hair and eyes to match. Tall. Clean and a well put together outfit, very notable. Her very presence allures me to see this through, if it's false I'll be one step closer to loosing the house.

I showed her around and she seemed to genuinely like the place. At the end of the tour and after a little small talk, she looked at me.

"So, Peridot . . . are we roommates?"

Her directness caught me a little off-guard. I'd been planning to think about it, at least a little bit. But she seemed really nice, she obviously wanted to move in, and I was in need of a housemate right away.

I gave it my best smile, attempting to be convincing that it was my idea to offer it to her, and told her "yes."

Lapis smiled as though she knew the answer before I did.

"Great. I'll move in this weekend."

We talked a couple of minutes about logistics and then she left. I closed the door behind her and sighed with relief.

* * *

Lapis showed up Saturday with her stuff. I let her in and made myself scarce for a couple of hours. One, because I wanted to give her some space and privacy and two, because, well, after working all week lugging someone else's stuff around wasn't exactly my idea of a fun Saturday. So I told Lapis I was off to run some errands and would see her in a couple of hours.

I came home from my errands, having stopped and brought us some lunch, figuring I'd make a nice opening gesture. Lapis seemed happy to see me, happier still when she saw that I had lunch with me. We plopped down on the couch and had our lunch, Lapis' boxes in various states of disarray around the place.

I asked her if she went by Lap, or some other nickname. She smiled, sort of, and said, "No. Just Lapis." Then she laughed, as if to herself, and said "well, I've been called other things." There was a semi-awkward silence for a moment, which I broke by giggling a bit, and the conversation moved on.

"What about you, Peridot? Do your friends call you Peri?." Lapis laughed and looked at me, her blue eyes seeming to really focus on me for the first time.

I felt an odd desire to look away, for no apparent reason. I laughed a little and said "hmm, not that I recall."

"Well, it suits you, I think . . . Peri."

We both laughed.

Lapis said she thought that today it was more important to get to know each other a little better as opposed to her going nuts trying to get everything unpacked and settled, and for us to discuss what she called "some practical aspects." I listened.

"I have to admit, Peri, that I'm really horrible with all the domestic stuff. Grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, ironing, etc., frankly I'm terrible at them and I hate them. So I thought that we could work out a deal along those lines."