HOUSEMATES (part 8)

I woke up and rolled over, snuggling against Lapis. I didn't remember getting up from the couch the night before and moving to the bed. I was naked. Apparently I didn't remember undressing either.

Lapis began to stir. She turned and pulled me close again.

She whispered to me. "Good morning, pet. Get breakfast going. There is a fresh robe and stockings in another box in the Cosabella bag. Same shoes as last night."

I nodded and got out of bed and headed out to the living room. Obviously the robe and heels wasn't just for Saturday night pizza parties.

I got dressed, wobbling a bit in the heels as I made my way into the kitchen. These shoes were so not made for first thing in the morning.

I made coffee and served Lapis lying in bed. She was up and at the table by the time breakfast was ready. I served her, then brought mine, and we ate. I wondered if she was going to ask for the pad again to make another list.

Lapis looked at me. Her expression and tone were thoughtful. Her eyes seemed to be searching me for something.

Finally she spoke.

"I am wondering if you really need the week."

I looked at her. "Need the week, Miss?"

She reminded me about our agreement; that at the end of one week, it was over, or it would presumably continue in some as yet unspecified way.

I had, in less than 36 hours, actually forgotten about the 'one week' thing. I was marveling at that fact when Lapis broke the silence again.

"I was looking at you, and thinking about our time together so far. Everything's come very naturally to you. You have taken to my control very easily. We obviously get along. You please me wonderfully. I don't think a few extra days are going to change much of anything from either side, is it?

I wasn't sure what to say. Her logic as usual was unassailable. Thankfully she kept talking. I listened, mind starting to reel a bit.

"Also, to move forward requires a significant additional commitment on my part, in time, effort, and money. I am willing to make this commitment, but as with most things, I like to be able to proceed when I am ready to proceed. But of course I can't proceed without your consent to extend, and . . . revise, as it were, our agreement."

At least she had stopped on a question I was going to ask anyway.

"Miss, it would help me if you'd explain what that means, exactly, 'extend and revise.' "

She nodded. "I was just getting to that. Extend – means simply, you're mine. Not for a week, or a month, but indefinitely. Revise, is more of a technical difference – basically it means that technically, I can do anything I like with you. But in the end, either you trust me or you don't. Everything else is just window dressings."

I started to protest that I did trust her. She smiled and stopped me.

"I know that this is all very sudden, Peri. Your mind, I'm sure is in a whirl. I've come into your life, and turned it upside down. It must feel like I'm pushing you towards some cliff. And in a way I am. The difference between us at this point is that you think you will fall off of the cliff, whereas I know that you can fly from the edge of that cliff."

She got up and leaned over to hug me tightly. "I'm talking in riddles, which isn't going to help. I'm sorry. You need the rest of the week to think about it. It's all right."