HOUSEMATES (parts 6 - 7)

I was cleaning up after breakfast when Lapis called to me. "Here's everything you need." I peeked around the corner at her. She smiled.

"Oh, and I realized I might have not been clear to you about something. When I wrote 'wash the cars' I meant you washing the cars by hand, instead of taking them all to a car wash."

She turned and started to walk away. "OK, time for me to get showered."

I gulped softly. I actually did plan on going to the car wash. My day was getting more hectic by the minute and I hadn't even crossed anything off the list given to me. I had a laugh to myself, fortunate to not know how to change my own oil!

I finished cleaning up and got dressed in a T-shirt and a pair of ratty cut-offs and old sneakers. I had to rummage around a bit for a bucket and some rags. I found them, grabbed the soap and went out to get the hose.

Washing the cars actually turned out to be sort of fun. It was a beautiful day out and the simple process of making something clean was quietly pleasing.

Lapis popped her head out the door and watched me as I was finishing drying her car. She called out.

"Don't forget to vacuum the interior spotless, Peri. Oh, and I'm guessing you don't have a good car wax on hand. Add that to your list today, to pick some up; both cars are to be immaculate and well-waxed each time."

"Yes, Miss," I replied, blushing wildly and looking around, wondering if any neighbors had heard that exchange.

I vacuumed Lapis' car thoroughly, then went about washing and vacuuming mine. I started to worry about the time, mindful of her instruction to have her car back at 1pm. I put away the car-washing things and went about hurriedly getting ready to go out. Lapis watched me dashing around.

"Hm, for today, I'll let you go out like that. As a rule, I don't ever want you dressed as you currently are, even around the house or washing the car. And especially in public. You represent me, after all. But for today, it's more important that you get everything done in a timely fashion, and I need my car back."

I couldn't think of anything to say other than "yes, Miss." Normally, I wouldn't have gone out looking like this to run errands. But one look at the clock told me it was time to scoot.

Lapis swatted my butt playfully . . . "get going, girl . . . see you before 1."

I jumped a little, more in surprise than anything else, both at the little swat and at her calling me "girl." Like everything else with Lapis it seemed perfectly normal, natural. I shook my head in wonder as I head out the door.

I got Lapis' car gassed up and the oil changed; there was a bit of a wait. Nervously I watched the clock and fretted as it seemed everyone was getting their oil changed today. But it all worked out and I got done and out of there and pulled into the driveway at 12:52.

I went inside and put Lapis' keys on the table. She came out from her bedroom, casually but very elegantly dressed, as she always seemed to be. She hugged me.

"Good job, Peri. Well, I'm off lunch and some shopping with a couple of friends." She looked me up and down. "I need everything done and you back by 4. You'll want to shower and change before you go out again . . . but watch your time. And be sure to eat lunch at some point."

I nodded. "Yes, Miss. Should I get dinner started when I get home?"

She thought a moment. Hmm. I'll call later and let you know." She turned and headed for the door. Bye for now, Peri. Enjoy your day." She laughed softly.