BLUE MOON

Or the one where Peridot meets Lapis in a chat room. (2693 words)

Peridot's night is young and free. Free from pesky late night study sessions, and graveyard shifts at the photocopy shop. She has just gotten back from the local flea market, trying her luck at an electronics trade show, walking away with a satisfying haul of mechanical garbage.

In her bedroom, the bed itself is the only clean area. MacBooks are littered all over the floor like socks, among various wires connected to dead circuits, along with dirty clothes and crumpled empty bags of nacho flavored corn chips overcrowding her rug.

After a long day, the techie plops down on the bed, with her laptop brought up to a webpage servicing one of those "Webchat-A-Stranger" sites to entertain herself for the evening.

That familiar pop up surfaces, asking for her permission to enable web and mic functions.
Peridot clicks "Allow", and is greeted by the image of herself in a dark green long sleeve, bedroom shorts, and footie socks. Her glasses have been taken off her face and set aside to get rid of their glaring effect on camera.

Talking to random people online has always interested Peridot. A worldwide net full of people from different countries and backgrounds, all here to converse about whatever they think of. The only aspect that turns her off would be the random shameless jag offs putting their privates on full display. That's why Peridot has filters. Set to only connect with females in her country.

For Peridot, it is sometimes difficult to socialize outside of the confines of her room. It took a lot of energy out of her to carry on a conversation with a fellow electronic connoisseur earlier today. But behind a screen, she's relaxed and non-anxious to the idea of talking to random people.

The very first partners Peridot connects with are not worth her time nor energy. Among them, she pairs with people who broadcast only black screens that irritates her enough to disconnect immediately. As well as underaged children, who Peridot politely waves off before connecting to someone else for more mature company. No such luck.

Considering this night a bust, she almost thinks of going to bed...almost.

At the trade show, Peridot met up with a friend who was also in attendance. They conversed for awhile after leaving, and it somehow lead to Peridot talking about her online communication efforts towards the female crowd. Her friend gave her a suggested site for Peridot to feel more comfortable with.

After Peridot types in the web address given, she is in pure shock to find out her friend has given her a lesbian adult chat site. Peridot becomes confused on how misinformed her friend had been to even suggest this.

Does she think I'm gay? Peridot thinks. It isn't the first time someone has thought that Peridot swings towards the same sex. For years she has questioned her own sexuality, as if it's an elusive enigma. She's only looking for someone to talk with, not to parade her body around for a complete stranger.

Peridot knows she probably should just close the window in question and go to sleep. However, Peridot's curiosity doesn't let up, and she finds herself scrolling along, to see if the website has anything to offer herself within reason. She comes across a stream tab labeled "casual" with only forty females active. Peridot figures it wouldn't hurt to create an account and see if it's right for her.

After her account has been personalized, she takes in a deep breath and clicks to connect with someone.

Peridot immediately connects to someone.
It starts with a simple screen name: WaterWitch4U. Their feed takes a minute to load, but when it does, Peridot becomes smitten. The feed's connection has been received, broadcasting a fully clothed blue haired girl, laid on a couch chewing red vines.