Chapter 1

Year 1103

Mirabel’s POV

“Elizabeth! Wait up… you know you are faster than me!” I said running through the forest with my best friend.

“No! You should run faster, you are slower than my grandmother!” she said giggling at the fact that I’m not as fast as her.

I tried to catch up with Elizabeth as long as I could, she was really fast, I was not paying any attention to where I was stepping, and I just had to prove to her that I am not the runt of the litter.I jumped over a rock missing it just in time, I smiled to myself thinking ‘I can be just as good as the rest of the pack children, and hopefully they would let me play with them…’

I looked around for Elizabeth, but could not find her… ‘She’s gone!’ I thought to myself. How could she just leave me alone in the woods? I’m very much frightened at the fact that I am all alone in the woods, by myself… and the fact that my best friend… my only friend that is, left me here.

“Hello!” I yelled, receiving no response. “Is someone there!” U yelled again, with still no response; I started to cry, “Elizabeth! This is not amusing! Please come out!” I yelled again bawling my eyes out, “Please help me! I’m lost! Can anyone hear me?” I cried sobbing now, I stumbled backwards and fell over a rock, falling onto my rear, and I started to sob again, but heard leaves ruffling. Surprised and a bit terrified, well a lot terrified, I looked around my surroundings, finding nothing, not even a sound.  Thinking it was just a rabbit I started sobbing again.

 “Mirabel?” I heard a familiar voice say. Frightened I looked up to find Kurt standing over me with concerned eyes. I jumped up and grabbed him, bawling again, “Kurt! Thank the moon goddess you found me” I released him, and he wiped my tears away from under my eyes. “Why are you out here? You know you should stay with Sarafina and Winona when the pack is out hunting, you could have got yourself killed!” he said with concern laced in his voice. “I know but Elizabeth wa-“, I could not finish my sentence because he cut in “Elizabeth!” He said, with anger laced in his voice, “Where is that little Olva? You should not listen to her! Your only 7 years old! She is poisoning your mind!” I stared at him in disbelief “She is also 7 years old in fact… we are the exact same age, born on the exact same day! And you can’t control me. You are only 9 years old! Elizabeth is the only child in the entire pack that would be my friend! Because I’m the runt! Aren’t I... Aren’t I?!” I yelled at him crying.

We stared at each other for a while before Kurt’s eyes shifted from me to something behind me and almost immediately looked down, I frowned looking at him, “What are you doi-“ I turned around to see Keith staring at the two of us with anger in his eyes. “What are you two doing here? Mirabel you should be with Sarafina and Winona! And Kurt You should be back at camp!” he walked closer toward us. For a 14 year old, he is very intimidating, with his black hair dangling right above his eyes and his crystal blue eyes that turned to a dark blue shade, because of his rage, and his muscles are small compared to the older pack members, but to us children, he looks quite scary. He is shirtless obviously, and covered in sweat ‘Nasty’ I thought to myself ‘he must have been running’ my wolf said. ‘Of course he was running, he was probably in wolf form too because he was HUNTING WITH THE PACK!’ I yelled back at my wolf in my mind ‘Well you don’t have to be so rude!’ I ignored my wolf’s comment.