Chapter 11

Peeta's P.O.V.

My hands shake uncontrollably, I can't get them to stop. My whole body is pale and cold. It's night, and I've been sitting in this hospital hallway for two hours now. So of course I'm going to be shivering either way. But I can't help but fear what I saw earlier... Katniss looked so sick, so paralyzed, so... traumatised. I look at the mask and the autograph I have in my hands. I'm sure Katniss would love this.

"Peeta Mellark?" Doctor Chandler pops her head out of the door. She smiles a small smile at me, from all the hospital visits we have had, and probably many more to come, she can recognise my face well enough. I get up from the seat, walking into the room. Katniss lies on the bed, and I kneel by her side. I hold her hand, and gaze into her eyes.

"Hi, Peeta..." Her eyes drifting away from me and to the stuff in my hands. She gasps, a few tears brimming her eyes.

"Are those... for me?" She asks. I nearly laugh, but I don't and just smile.

"Of course they're for you!" I say and give it to her.

"This is amazing, thank you! I love it." She says,

"I knew you would." I smile back to her radiant smile. I'll never get sick of that beautiful face of hers. She means the world to me, I don't know how many times I have to say to myself. She's just everything I could ever want.

~

My hands slip over the steering wheels, as well as I check the review mirrors. I can see my beautiful Katniss, while trying to keep herself awake. But after all the eye flutters and big yawns, she slides on to her side. Her hands falls onto her stomach, carrying our daughter inside. I can't wait to be a father. I'm only 17, a young age to be a parent. But I'll be able to get through it, as long as I'm by Katniss's side, and she's by mine. All the stuff she's been through, all I can do is be the best boyfriend there is along as making her happy. But that would be easy, because I love her. And I'll never stop loving her.

I start the car engine, put the gear into drive, and step on the pedal. I drive past the houses and trees, as per usual. Everything looks pretty much the same. Nothing special to see. Sometimes I wish we lived in a big mansion filled with statues and flowers, gold and silver, everything that looks like a royal would have. Of course, I'm only dreaming. We might not ever get a new house, or new furniture, or anything other than food and clothes. Though Katniss is still intent on earning money, and she doesn't know about us paying the bills for her yet. So we might just have enough money to do and get all the stuff we've ever wanted. We can only hope for the best...

~ 3 Months Later; August: Start of Senior Year ~

Katniss's P.O.V.

The elevator dings for the main floor in the high school. No one is in the halls quite yet. Which is a blessing. All my teachers allow me to leave for each class five minutes early. So I avoid the school hall traffic. I can't tell if it is a pity for me being almost full term or not. But even so, it's a very generous offer. I open my locker and put away my books. I put my backpack in as well. A backpack is nice for everyone. Except me. I mostly drag mine around. With having a full size baby inside of me, that puts enough strain on my back. I don't need to add another four or so pounds to the six or seven pound human I am carrying around. I sure cannot wait to get this whole thing over with. Joy, isn't the right word for the whole thing. More like... intrigued by it all. And still terrifying. But I know this whole ordeal will be worth it in a few weeks time. September 6th is my due date. It's August 17th today. I am counting down the days until I can breathe again and hold my daughter in my arms and raise her alongside her sweet, amazing, Father. I close my locker and slowly and steadily walk to my friends meeting area in the Commons. I pass the short time for my friends to arrive, by soothing the restless little girl inside of me. She's been on the move ever since I hit my eight month mark. And I can't blame her. Her mother hasn't been in the best situations with her there. I let her kick my hand, and I poke back at her. Peeta and I picked a name for her. He liked Paisley. But I can tell that this girl isn't a Paisley. She is very feisty and not even born yet. We decided on the name Ruby. Not for the stone. But it just felt right to me when it came into my head. And Peeta instantly fell in love with the name. We aren't sure what last name she'll take on. Since we aren't married and most likely won't be any time soon. We are just at the beginning of Senior year. And only 17 years old. We'd both need parental consent unless we wait until we are 18. Peeta will be in December, but I won't be until May. My Dad is completely out of my life. So I can never ask him even if Peeta asked me to marry him right now. I am not so hard about it anymore. I have Peeta, Prim, Madge, Annie, Grandma Mags, and my Grandparent Abernathy's. They are all I really need. They've stayed. And always will. The bell for third period rings. Slowly but surely, students fill the halls. My friends come into view. They come to me. Peeta helps me up. He gives me a kiss.