Chapter 17

~ Back From Honeymoon; December 11th: Peeta's Birthday ~

Katniss's P.O.V

I got Ruby out of her car seat and set her down. I grab the bags that hold the birthday gifts for Peeta. I lift up her carrier and grab the bags. I go into the house. Arlo and Buttercup are waiting for me.

"Hey guys, calm down. Nothing is for you." I say.

I set the bags on the island. I unstrap Ruby from her carrier and set her down on the floor. She gets up and waddles a little, stumbles then goes crawling.

"Watch over her for me boys." I say and pet Arlo and Buttercup.

I take out the cake mix and decorations and move the presents away. Peeta will get a new art set, new baking pans, and a big surprise. He will receive a better gift than these. A possible son or daughter. I found out a few weeks ago. It was around the first week of December. It was a shock and a happy moment. I haven't told him yet. He has made me go to the doctor every time I have morning sickness. I come back each time telling him it is still the flu. And he still worries. But no more after tonight. No one but me knows. Not Prim, Madge, Annie, no one. It is my own dirty little secret. I make the cake and put it into the oven. I start to wrap up his gifts. I put them on the table. The oven beeps and I take the cake out. The smell of chocolate fills the kitchen. I leave it to cool for a while. I go wrap up the surprise gift. I put my positive pregnancy test, a pacifier, and my ultrasound in a box. I wrap it up and put a bow on top. I set it with the rest. I feel small hands grab onto my leg. I look down and see Ruby getting up and reaching for me.

"Hey Sweetie. Come here." I say and pick her up.

I set her on my knee and bounced it a little. Ruby is more occupied with the gifts than the horse game. I brush her dark hair out of her mouth. I can't believe she is two months old now. Her eyes are bright blue like Peeta's. She has his nose, and my ears. She reaches for the table cloth and tries to pull on it.

"No, No, Rubs. Those aren't for you. It's your Daddy's birthday. Yours isn't for a while, Sweetie. But you can have cake." I say and kiss her cheek.

She giggles and reaches for my face. I let her pull it down. She gets my hair and yanks that hard.

"Ow, Rubs. That's hair." I say and laugh a little.

I take her hand and make her release my hair. She giggles wildly and claps her hands. I shake my head and smile softly.

"What am I going to do with you, huh? You silly little girl, pulling on your Momma's hair." I say and poke her nose.

She reaches for me again and giggles.

"M-m-ma." She gets out.

I gasp and smile brightly. "That's right, Ruby. I'm your Mommy." I say.

I hear the front door open, and things set down.

"Katniss?" I hear Prim say.

"Hey, Little Duck. In the kitchen." I say.

Footsteps approach and the paws of the animals follow. Prim comes in a few seconds later followed by the heard.

"How's my favorite niece, huh? Hi, Cutie Pie." Prim says and picks her up. "Cake for Peeta, right? Smells good."

"Yep. Chocolate." I say.

"I can watch her for a bit if you want to finish. Maybe play in the snow, if that's okay." Prim says.

"Just keep her warm. I don't want her to get sick." I say.