Chapter 38

Katniss's P.O.V.

The dust has finally cleared from the feud with HU and I. I still have a bit of resentment for Danny. But we have mostly worked things out. I have been able to move past the loss of my son or daughter. I just wish it was Peeta to help me through it. He has been the same as when we were separated. I can't stand being apart from him. He is my rock. The love of my life. And I can't even be in the same room as him. He thinks I am a terrible person, and he is mostly true... I am.. But not as bad as the things he says. HU tells me things about him and how he is doing. But it only makes me feel worse... It was because I failed the mission. Snow did this. He has to have. There is no other way he could forget me and think of me as a threat.

I know what has to be done.....

I received a letter with another assignment and a threat from Snow. It's harder than the first assignment and the threat seems more definite than the one before.

Ms. Everdeen, it reads.

Seeing as you somewhat failed your first assignment, I'm giving you one last chance to save your daughter. Your assignment is as follows:

You must go to Russia to find someone your friends in the band 'Hollywood Undead' know very well. A certain Aron Erlichman, if you will.

You cannot tell anyone this next part. If you do, I will know. You're in Russia to kill, Ms. Everdeen. To kill who? Mr. Erlichman, of course. Once again, if you fail in doing that, your daughter will 'disappear', so to speak.

Clock's ticking, Katniss.

President C. Snow

The letter is finished off with the signature white rose he uses to seal his letters shut. The very sight of the rose makes me feel sick to my stomach and it's as if I can smell the sickening stench.

I clench the letter to my chest, seething with anger and fright. I'm going to have to follow through with whatever events killing Aron will lead to. I don't want Ruby to die but I have to tell someone where I'm going or they'll think something bad happened to me.

I run to my room and quickly throw a few items of warm clothing in a suitcase and zip it up, the passport that came with the letter in hand. I lock the door as my phone beeps with a message.

Hey. Can I come over?- Dylan

I'm heading out. I don't know when I'll be back.

Spill.

What?

It's not that. What is it really, Kat?

I gotta go to Russia for a few days.

Why Russia?

Because I've been told to.

But why do you gotta go there?

Because I've been told to kill someone

Oh my god.. who?!

Aron Erlichman...

Aron Erlichman? As in Deuce Aron Erlichman?

Yeah...

Damn.. who's gonna look after the twins?

How are you so chill about this?!

Fuck.. you're right. KATNISS DON'T KILL ANYONE!

That's not helping.

Katniss, I'm serious. Don't kill anyone. Not even Aron. I don't care who told you to do that. I'm not letting you commit a fucking murder. No fucking way.